Arsenal booked their space in the closing 16 of the Europa League with a satisfied 2d-leg victory over Bate Borisov at Emirates Stadium.
Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, they scored interior four minutes when Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s snide turned into modified into in by Bate defender Zakhar Volkov.
Centre-attend Shkodran Mustafi made it 2-0 earlier than the shatter with a resounding header from Granit Xhaka’s corner.
Replace Sokratis Papastathopoulos headed in the third aim after an hour.
After a disappointing efficiency in losing the first leg in Belarus, Arsenal principal to rating no longer decrease than twice to fight via.
Bate were denied an equaliser fair four minutes after Arsenal had taken the lead when Stephan Lichtsteiner slid in to develop a goalline clearance from Stanislav Dragun’s header.
The company also came shut when Maksim Skavysh hit the aspect-netting in the first half but Arsenal had doubtlessly the most easy chances via Alex Iwobi, Xhaka and Aubameyang.
The method for the closing 16 takes space on Friday, 22 February at 12:00 GMT and also it is probably you’ll perchance perchance possibly apply it are residing on the BBC Sport net living.
No discipline for satisfied Gunners
Arsenal boss Unai Emery vowed his aspect’s efficiency turned into “going to be varied” from their lacklustre repeat in Belarus and he wasn’t inappropriate.
The Gunners regarded paunchy of vitality in the opening stages – winning two early corners and forcing a attach from keeper Denis Scherbitski when Iwobi pounced on Lichtsteiner’s snide.
They were rewarded when the ball bounced off Volkov’s shin and into the attend of the derive to give them a wanted equalising aim in the tie.
Arsenal continued to press excessive up the pitch and created chances in both halves. They had 22 pictures in total – in conjunction with 15 in the box – and set in 24 crosses from originate play.
Xhaka compelled Scherbitski into a tidy attach with a resounding lengthy-vary effort in the first half, while Mesut Ozil – making fair his 2d begin of 2019 and first in four games – poked a shot huge of the left post and Aubameyang’s free-kick turned into saved after the shatter.
Bate did strategy shut on a pair of instances – Skavysh got in on the attend of Nacho Monreal most inviting to slam the ball into the aspect netting, earlier than Dragun’s header turned into kept out on the closing minute by Lichtsteiner.
But Arsenal were dominant all via and by no manner truly regarded love conceding a costly away aim.
The Gunners bag no longer made the closing of a European opponents since their Champions League defeat by Barcelona in 2006 and were knocked out in the semi-finals of this opponents closing season.
They are able to hope to pass one step extra this time around even supposing – the prospect of securing an automatic put of living in the Champions League by winning the Europa League is a steady motivator.
The bookmakers bag Arsenal down as third favourites on the attend of Napoli and Chelsea to rob a contest Emery won three instances in successive seasons with susceptible club Sevilla.
Arsenal could perchance perchance strategy up against the Spanish 5-time winners when the strategy takes space on Friday.
‘If we rating, elevate on’ – Emery
Arsenal manager Unai Emery talking to BT Sport: “We principal this consequence but also we desired to play for our supporters here, to toughen and construct our mentality after the first match away, which turned into no longer fair. We did our most inviting to strategy attend [in the tie] and the crew worked thoroughly.
“But we also had to catch precaution because in the event that they scored they would possibly be able to even be attend in the match. Our message turned into if we rating, elevate on. If we scored two, elevate on. Follow it and elevate on. We principal two, three or four targets for more precaution in the 90 minutes.
“The gamers did our game idea as we wanted and they also arrived in the box a lot with rather a good deal of crosses. And we confirmed the effectivity we went, which we did no longer bag away.”
Aerial threats and immense-subs – doubtlessly the most easy of the stats
- Arsenal overturned a principal leg defeat in a European two-legged tie for the first time since February 2010, after they knocked out Porto in the Champions League closing 16.
- Arsenal bag kept three consecutive magnificent sheets on the Emirates in European opponents for the first time since a run of six shut-outs ending in April 2009 (in conjunction with qualifiers).
- Alongside with qualifiers, Belarusian aspects bag lost four of their 5 visits to English clubs in the UEFA Europa League; with Bate’s rob at Everton in December 2009 the only success.
- Arsenal substitutes bag scored 13 targets in all competitions this season, higher than any varied Premier League aspect.
- Emery has lost fair indisputably one of his closing 17 dwelling games in the UEFA Europa League (W15, D1, L1), his Sevilla aspect losing 1-2 against Athletic Bilbao in the 2015-16 quarter closing 2d leg.
- Arsenal’s opener against Bate turned into their quickest in European opponents since Lukas Podolski netted against Galatasaray (2 mins 1 sec) in the Champions League in December 2014.
- Seven of Mustafi’s eight targets for Arsenal in all competitions bag strategy via his head.
- Xhaka has equipped two assists in a game for Arsenal for quite a lot of effective the 2d time in all competitions, after constructing two targets against Leicester in the Premier League in August 2017.
- Ozil made his 19th look for Arsenal in all competitions this season, taking half in the paunchy 90 minutes for quite a lot of effective the seventh time in 2018-19.