Aston Villa 0-0 West Ham: Arthur Masuaku sent off as visitors earn point
Aston Villa moved out of the relegation zone by drawing in opposition to a West Ham facet who accomplished with 10 men after Arthur Masuaku’s red card.
Masuaku used to be dismissed with 23 minutes left after deciding on up two bookings.
Sooner than that, the game’s predominant talking level noticed Anwar El Ghazi clash heads with Villa team-mate Tyrone Mings, though no circulate used to be taken.
Villa’s John McGinn had loads of the game’s better probabilities, forcing Lukasz Fabianski into two saves.
Either facet had frantic assaults leisurely on, with penalty shouts at every ends, nonetheless neither might perchance well score the decisive touch.
- El Ghazi and Mings clash ‘put to bed at half-time’
- Soccer Daily podcast: Left out probabilities for Villa & Champions League returns
Collisions and red card the title of the game
There were loads of enormous hits and tackles, extra so than predominant goalscoring opportunities.
The predominant incident in the predominant half alive to two Villa gamers – Mings used to be angry with El Ghazi’s lack of defensive abet and began shouting in his face.
At that moment, Netherlands winger El Ghazi nudged his head into Mings’ face. He might perchance had been sent off, nonetheless referee Mike Dean and the video assistant referee determined the contact used to be no longer ample to create a red card.
In utterly different locations, the physios were busy, as Hammers keeper Lukasz Fabianski flattened El Ghazi as he punched a mistaken certain, and McGinn anxiousness himself after tackling Sebastien Haller when Angelo Ogbonna unintentionally stood on him.
There were 5 yellow cards in the game, and two of them landed to Masuaku – one in every half. The first used to be extra easy, with a heavy anxiousness on Frederic Guilbert, who wanted remedy.
Nonetheless the 2d take care of to create the red card – Dean’s 102nd as a Premier League official – used to be a take care of on change Ahmed Elmohamady, who went down simply.
BBC Radio 5 Stay pundit Chris Sutton used to be in slight doubt that it used to be the true decision, calling the take care of “reckless and brainless”.
West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini disagreed with the choice to ship off his left-again. “It used to be a fashioned sending off whereas you play away, with the rigidity of the followers in every contaminated,” he told BBC Sport.
Villa captain Jack Grealish mentioned his facet “obtained worse when they went down to 10 men”, adding: “We tried to scurry things and power things and gave the ball away.”
His manager Dean Smith agreed, asserting: “I believed 11 v 11 we were in actual fact excellent and created basically the most simple probabilities. I anticipated a slight bit better of us when they went down to 10.
“We by no manner worn that extra man and obtained rushed on the ball rather then keeping our increase.”
Either facet miss decisive touch
Either facet had gigantic plans for a grab – Villa had the replacement to cross two formula certain of the backside three, whereas West Ham might perchance personal long gone third in the desk.
The company had extra probabilities, nonetheless Villa had the upper ones.
The most simple opening doubtlessly fell to Villa striker Wesley, who headed wide from about six yards out after a shiny Grealish mistaken.
McGinn used to be his fashioned classy self and went finish with loads of shots from exterior the box.
“We were excellent defensively, with our 2d easy sheet in row at Villa Park,” mentioned Grealish. “We might perchance well easy be deadlier in entrance of goal. As rapidly as we are, all the pieces will click on into set apart.”
West Ham’s much-hyped attacking quartet of Haller, Andriy Yarmolenko, Manuel Lanzini and Felipe Anderson struggled to originate many opportunities.
Model Noble’s seventh-minute snap shot, which used to be straight at goalkeeper Tom Heaton, proved to be their only shot no longer astray.
“We played with 10 men precisely the identical as 11,” mentioned Hammers boss Pellegrini. “I’m very cheerful with the persona and performance. When you can’t grab, don’t lose it.
“We did a complete game. I have to gape in every game the attitude we noticed tonight. I’m cheerful with the manner we’re bettering.”
Villa cross out of the backside three on goal disagreement, whereas West Ham are eighth.
Man of the match – Issa Diop (West Ham)
Match stats – Villa’s 2d worst start up
- Handiest in 1997-98 did Aston Villa accrue fewer formula after the outlet 5 games of a Premier League marketing campaign (three) than they’ve managed this season (four).
- West Ham personal suffered excellent one defeat of their past 9 prime-flight games (W5 D3), after losing 5 of the seven earlier than that.
- Eight of the 41 Premier League meetings between Aston Villa and West Ham personal ended goalless, the splendid share (19.5%) of any fixture in the competition that’s been played 30-plus times.
- Since their return to the Premier League in 2012-13, West Ham personal picked up 22 red cards in the competition (diploma with Arsenal), with only Newcastle managing extra at some level of this period (26).
- Mike Dean racked up his 102nd red card in the Premier League, 35 greater than another referee has awarded in the competition (Phil Dowd is next on 67).
- Since the start up of last season, Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish has been fouled 179 times in league football (in conjunction with play-offs), 49 greater than another participant in the pause four tiers.
Either facet play ‘huge six’ groups on Sunday. West Ham are at home to Manchester United (14:00 BST), whereas Villa plod to Arsenal (16:30).