Arsenal slumped to a disappointing first leg defeat in opposition to Bate Borisov in the Europa League final 32.
Stanislav Dragun nodded house Igor Stasevich’s free-kick for the sport’s biggest purpose staunch before half-time.
Arsenal’s Alexandre Lacazette had a purpose disallowed early in the 2d half before being sent off for elbowing Aleksandar Filipovic.
A resolute Bate held on for the possess, their first over an English facet at house in European competition.
The Belarusian champions will now rob a slender consequence in Emirates Stadium for the 2d leg next Thursday.
It became as soon as no more than Bate deserved as Arsenal extinct instant after a interesting launch on a bumpy pitch and sub-zero conditions in Belarus.
Aliaksei Baga’s facet had been playing their first competitive match since December and doggedly held on to their lead in the 2d half.
Arsenal, in inequity, managed staunch three shots not astray no matter taking part in nearly 77% possession.
Arsenal away struggles continue
Unai Emery will beget hoped the resumption of the Europa League would beget given his facet some momentum after an inconsistent few weeks.
The Gunners’ closing Europa League neighborhood sport in opposition to FK Qarabag in December prolonged their unbeaten hunch in all competitions to 22 video games. Nonetheless since then Emery’s facet beget lost six out of 13 suits, going out of every domestic cups in the technique.
Emery replied to that patchy make by naming a solid facet for the sport in Belarus, showing staunch two adjustments from the crew that gained at Huddersfield final weekend.
There became as soon as early promise as Henrikh Mkhitaryan drew a blinding stop from Denis Scherbitski within 90 seconds. Extra potentialities for Lacazette and Alex Iwobi adopted, however the Gunners instant deteriorated.
Bate Borisov, in the period in-between, are effectively in pre-season having now not beget now not played a competitive sport since their closing Europa League neighborhood sport two months previously.
They confirmed small signal of rustiness, alternatively, and grew in self belief because the sport progressed, cheered on by a boisterous house crowd.
Most of their attacking play went via captain Stasevich, who delivered more assists than any various player for the length of the neighborhood levels.
Bate debutant Nemanja Milic had already clipped the submit from Stasevich’s drilled unpleasant before the midfielder laid on the opening purpose from a local-fraction.
His free-kick from the applicable stumbled on the head of Dragun, who had shunned marker Sead Kolasinac and powered a header beyond Petr Cech.
Even the 2d half introduction of prime scorer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and January signing Denis Suarez failed to spark a response from Arsenal.
Their agonize became as soon as compounded when Lacazette needlessly lashed out at Filipovic and became as soon as deservedly sent off, with the Gunners struggling a fifth defeat in eight away video games in all competitions.
The Gunners will restful actually feel assured of getting sufficient in next week’s 2d leg to progress, but they’ve made their assignment considerably more significant than it is going to in another case beget been.
Man of the match – Igor Stasevich (Bate Borisov)
Bate stop Arsenal’s hunch of neat sheets – the stats
- Arsenal beget lost three of their past four away video games in all competitions (W1), as many defeats as they’d in their first 14 below Unai Emery (W8 D3 L3).
- Arsenal are staunch the 2d English crew to undergo defeat in opposition to an opponent from Belarus in European competition, after Everton in December 2009 (0-1 v Bate Borisov in the Europa League).
- Arsenal beget been eliminated from each of their past six two-legged ties in European competition when shedding the first leg – the final such tie they managed to reverse became as soon as in opposition to FC Porto in the Champions League in 2009-10 (6-2 on aggregate).
- Stanislav Dragun’s headed opener for Bate Borisov became as soon as the first purpose Arsenal beget conceded in the Europa League since matchday one in opposition to Vorskla Poltava, ending a hunch of 5 video games and 495 minutes.
- Arsenal beget saved two neat sheets in their past 14 video games in all competitions, with their final one faraway from house coming at the launch of January (3-0 v Blackpool in the FA Cup).
- Alexandre Lacazette’s red card became as soon as the first shown to an Arsenal player in European competition since March 2017, when Laurent Koscielny became as soon as pushed aside in opposition to Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
Arsenal meet Bate again for the 2d leg at Emirates Stadium next Thursday (17:55 GMT) before returning to Premier League responsibility at house to Southampton on Sunday, 24 February (14:05 GMT).