Brendan Rodgers wants Leicester to “assemble new history” by reaching the Carabao Cup closing with victory over Premier League competitors Aston Villa.
The Foxes, who final gained the trophy in 2000, host Villa in the first leg of their semi-closing on Wednesday.
“I’m aware the membership hasn’t been to a closing for Twenty years so let’s obtain there then,” Rodgers said, with his side exact favourites.
The winners will play Manchester United or Manchester City in the closing.
Rodgers added: “Let’s no longer be scared too worthy relating to the past. Let’s assemble this new history however everybody is aware of we will wish to play effectively to acquire there.
“It is continuously nice if you gain something tangible to label for your development by reaching the League Cup closing.”
Boyhood Aston Villa fan Dean Smith says he’s aware of the importance of this competitors to the five-time winners.
“The gamers are all ready,” said the Villa manager. “We form no longer gain quite loads of decision with the numbers we gain, however everybody looks to be having a no longer sleep for the sport.
“Some of my handiest memories of staring at this soccer membership came in this competitors – my dad taking me to the 1977 cup closing. I do know my history about this soccer membership in this competitors and I’m obsessed on leading them in the semi-closing.
“There is an actual appropriate work ethic and a pressure relating to the gamers that I desire to proceed. We’re all having a no longer sleep for 2 in truth appropriate games in opposition to Leicester.”
Leicester striker Jamie Vardy, who has scored 17 targets for the Foxes this season, will seemingly be accessible after missing the final three matches with a minor calf recount.
Nevertheless, centre-support Wes Morgan will “omit the subsequent couple of games” in step with Rodgers, having attain off with a groin injury for the length of Saturday’s2-0 FA Cup third-round defend end in opposition to Wigan.
Villa will seemingly be with out striker Wesley, goalkeepers Tom Heaton and Jed Steer and midfielder John McGinn.
Rotund-support Matt Targett is anticipated to be support for the match in opposition to Manchester City on Sunday.
- Leicester and Aston Villa met in the League Cup semi-closing the final time the Foxes reached this stage in 1999-00, with Leicester winning 1-0 on aggregate and occurring to recall the trophy.
- Aston Villa gain misplaced their final two away matches in opposition to Leicester, in the Premier League for the length of 2015. Their final defend end at Leicester used to be in the League Cup in October 2006, a 3-2 victory below Martin O’Neill.
- Leicester gain long gone on to achieve the closing of the League Cup on each of the five times they’ve played at the semi-closing stage (1963-64, 1964-65, 1996-97, 1998-99 and 1999-00).
- This is Aston Villa’s 15th League Cup semi-closing tie and their first since 2012-13, after they misplaced 4-3 on aggregate to Bradford City. They’ve handiest gained the first leg in two of their outdated 14 League Cup semi-finals (W2 D7 L5).
- Brendan Rodgers has improved from his final 30 home cup ties with Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester – the final crew to beat Rodgers used to be Aston Villa in the FA Cup semi-closing in 2014-15, when he used to be Liverpool manager.
- Aston Villa gain scored 16 targets in the League Cup this season, six extra than every other crew. They’ve had two wins by five targets this season (6-1 v Crewe, 5-0 v Liverpool), the first crew to enact that in a single League Cup advertising campaign since Manchester City in 2013-14, who gained the tournament.
- Leicester’s James Maddison has scored four targets and assisted five in his final eight League Cup appearances, scoring in each of his three games this season.
- Aston Villa gain gained their final four League Cup matches, final winning five in a row in October 1994.