By Phil McNulty
Chief football creator at Stamford Bridge
Manchester United closed in on the Champions League locations with victory over Chelsea as Frank Lampard’s facet had been left with a approach of injustice after contentious video assistant referee choices went against them.
United closed to inside three components of Chelsea in fourth direct with headed targets either facet of the interval from Anthony Martial and Harry Maguire at Stamford Bridge.
Martial glanced in Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s tainted on the stroke of half-time earlier than Manchester United captain Maguire powered in a header from Bruno Fernandes’ nook after 66 minutes.
Chelsea felt aggrieved as Maguire used to be fortunate to flee a red card for kicking Michy Batshuayi within the groin within the considerable half as they tangled on the touchline, despite the incident being examined by VAR.
And the evaluation design denied them over again when Chelsea thought change Kurt Zouma had made it 1-1. The aim used to be ruled out for a push by Cesar Azpilicueta on Brandon Williams, even if replays showed United’s Fred put aside a hand on the attend of Chelsea’s captain.
Chelsea’s frustration used to be total when Olivier Giroud’s 76th-minute header used to be ruled out on myth of his foot used to be in an offside attach as he moved to meet Mason Mount’s free-kick.
Being on the right kind facet of the alternatives helped Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s organised and diligent United facet to total their first league double over Chelsea since 1987/88.
- VAR choices ‘soul destroying’ for followers – Chelsea boss Lampard
- Relive Manchester United take over Chelsea
Solskjaer’s males grind it out
This used to be now not a glittering efficiency by any manner from Manchester United but it’s miles going to also be satisfactorily filed below ‘job done’.
VAR used to be United’s pal in two pivotal moments, with Maguire’s aim including insult to harm as Chelsea felt – with understandable conviction – he must had been given a red card for kicking out at Batshuayi.
Where United had the decisive advantage over Chelsea used to be in front of aim, where they made the most of their uncommon alternatives with a scientific edge that used to be notably lacking of their opponents.
Martial used to be on the margins for a good deal of of the considerable half but showed his quality with an angled header beyond the take hold of of Chelsea keeper Willy Caballero.
United sealed a extremely considerable take that affords them hope of a top-four terminate when Maguire escaped the attentions of Antonio Rudiger to transfer home.
Recent boy Fernandes can possess added to Solskjaer’s pleasure with some good touches, including a free-kick against the post along with constructing Maguire’s aim earlier than he used to be substituted to a loud ovation from the away pause within the closing moments.
It locations them firmly attend in contention for the pause four, with entirely five components keeping apart Everton in ninth direct from Chelsea in fourth.
Broken-down failings haunt Chelsea
Chelsea supervisor Lampard’s constant gripe this season has been an absence of slicing edge to accompany some trim blueprint play and distinguished possession – and so it proved over again right here.
As they persevered a budge that has introduced entirely one take in six league games, Chelsea over again paid a heavy tag for once over again failing to create the many of the alternatives that equipped themselves.
With Tammy Abraham sidelined by blueprint of harm, responsibility fell on Batshuayi – however the Belgium striker looked looking self perception and drew Stamford Bridge’s wrath when he neglected two first-half possibilities.
The skilled Giroud looked more threatening when he came on but it used to be too unhurried for Chelsea, who came up short over again.
These are subtle instances for Lampard as he must score a approach to spin Chelsea out of their most up-to-date compose, salvage his strikers scoring and take care of a jam over his goalkeeper – with £71m keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga clearly within the attend of 38-one year-inclined Caballero.
It manner the stakes are excessive within the battle for prime-four locations when Jose Mourinho’s Spurs search suggestion from Stamford Bridge on Saturday lunchtime.
Man of the match – Eric Bailly (Manchester United)
Chelsea host Tottenham within the Premier League on Saturday (kick-off 12:30 GMT) while Manchester United breeze to Membership Bruges within the Europa League on Thursday, followed by a Premier League game against Watford on Sunday (14:00 GMT).
Solskjaer’s away joy against top facets – the stats
- Here is the considerable time Manchester United possess performed a league double over Chelsea with out conceding a aim since 1964-65.
- Chelsea possess lost seven home games in all competitions this season, their most in a single marketing and marketing campaign since 1994-95 (additionally seven).
- Chelsea possess lost all five of their home league games when conceding the considerable aim this season; entirely two diverse facets possess failed to enhance a single point at home when conceding first within the Premier League this season (Norwich and West Ham).
- Manchester United scored with each and each of their first two makes an try on the appropriate track in this match and scored two headed targets in a Premier League game for the considerable time since November 2017 against Newcastle.
- Chelsea grew to alter into the 2d facet to possess two targets awarded after which overturned by VAR in a Premier League match this season, following Sheffield United against Brighton in December.
- Anthony Martial has scored four Premier League targets against Chelsea; he hasn’t scored more targets against any diverse facet. Those four strikes possess near in his final three appearances against the Blues.
- Martial grew to alter into the considerable Manchester United participant to catch in three consecutive Premier League appearances against Chelsea, and the third to catch home and away Premier League targets against the Blues within the same season (Wayne Rooney 2011-12 and Eric Cantona 1992-93).
- Harry Maguire scored his first Premier League aim for Manchester United; every of his final four strikes within the opponents had been a ways from home, with his first since January 2019 at Liverpool.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has acquired all five of his away games as Man Utd supervisor against Chelsea and Man City in all competitions – bigger than the Red Devils had acquired of their old 19 such games below Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho blended.
- Odion Ighalo grew to alter into the 200th participant to create an look for Man Utd within the Premier League, and the considerable Nigerian to assemble so.