Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri acknowledged “a must bear” Willian “has to defend” with the club after the winger scored a spectacular purpose to give the Blues a desire over Newcastle.
Willian curled the ball previous Martin Dubravka within the 57th minute after Ciaran Clark’s header had cancelled out Pedro’s opener.
Earlier this week, the Blues reportedly rejected a participant-plus-cash affirm from Barcelona for the 30-year-mature Brazilian in a deal that could well bear additionally considered Barca winger Malcom pass to Stamford Bridge.
“For us Willian is continuously the important participant,” acknowledged Sarri. “We need wingers, so we need Pedro, we need (Callum Hudson-) Odoi, we need Willian clearly.
“In this 2d, he’s a elementary participant – he has to follow us.”
Willian joined Chelsea from Russian aspect Anzhi Makhachkala in a £30m deal in August 2013 and has helped the Blues desire the Premier League twice, the FA Cup and the League Cup.
When requested in regards to the transfer hypothesis, he spoke back: “My future is here at Chelsea, I originate no longer know what you are talking about.”
Chelsea are no doubt fourth, one point within the help of third-placed Tottenham, but six points particular of Arsenal, who they face at Emirates Stadium of their next sport on 19 January, whereas the Magpies bear dropped into the relegation zone.
Sarri’s aspect originate ample for the three points
Chelsea had didn’t rating of their earlier two league matches at Stamford Bridge – a 1-0 loss to Leicester and a goalless design with Southampton – but they netted within the ninth minute when Pedro aloof David Luiz’s ball over the tip, took a contact, then shot previous Dubravka for his seventh purpose of the season.
On the different hand, with Eden Hazard as soon as more that contains as a ‘misleading nine’ with Olivier Giroud on the bench and Alvaro Morata skipped over of the squad, they struggled to set apart additional particular-lower potentialities earlier than Clark equalised, powerfully heading in from Matt Ritchie’s corner.
There were boos heard internal Stamford Bridge at half-time, but Sarri’s aspect were vastly improved within the 2d half, with Hazard one draw more prominent threat.
The Belgian led Chelsea’s assault, which resulted of their 2d purpose as he ran at the Newcastle defence, offloaded to Willian who, from a tight angle, lower internal onto his appropriate foot and curled a amazing effort previous Dubravka with the ball getting in off the post.
With nine minutes left, 18-year-mature Callum Hudson-Odoi, the topic of a £35m affirm from German champions Bayern Munich, got here on for handiest his 2d Premier League look.
The house followers chanted “we need you to defend” within the route of the talented winger, who changed into part of England’s Beneath-17 World Cup triumph in 2017 and has 18 months left on his latest Chelsea deal.
Newcastle tumble into the underside three
Newcastle started the day fifteenth within the Premier League, but wins for Burnley and Southampton – along with Cardiff drawing – leaves Rafael Benitez’s aspect within the underside three.
Benitez gained the manager of the month award in November, but since then United bear handiest gained one match in 10 in all competitions.
With the Spaniard no longer more likely to be given any money to originate additional signings – amid ongoing uncertainty a couple of that you can perhaps perhaps additionally mediate of takeover – there are trusty considerations that the club could perhaps additionally tumble into the 2d tier after handiest two seasons help within the tip flight.
Sooner than the game, Benitez acknowledged that the club’s “reality” changed into “having to compete in a division after we can’t compete in opposition to Bournemouth, who are spending money”.
At Stamford Bridge, Newcastle had leisurely potentialities to grab a point, but Ritchie shot over the bar and Salomon Rondon headed an different extensive.
Newcastle face a vastly crucial home sport in opposition to Cardiff of their next league match, earlier than subtle assignments in opposition to Manchester Metropolis and Tottenham.
Man of the match – Pedro (Chelsea)
One more Newcastle failure in opposition to a high-six aspect – the stats
- Chelsea bear handiest lost one in all their 12 Premier League matches at Stamford Bridge this season, drawing Four and smartly-behaved the different seven.
- Newcastle’s total of 18 points from their opening 22 matches is their lowest tally at this stage of a high-flight season since 1988-89 campaign (17 points), with the Magpies going on to be relegated below manager Jim Smith.
- Chelsea (played Four, gained three and drew one) are on their longest unbeaten league journey since shedding none of their opening 12 league video games below manager Maurizio Sarri (played 12, gained eight and drew Four).
- Newcastle bear now lost 10 straight high-flight matches away from home in opposition to sides beginning the day within the tip Four, final smartly-behaved this kind of match help in November 2010 in opposition to Arsenal (played 26, gained none, drew three, lost 23 since).
- Rafael Benitez has now lost six of his eight away league video games in opposition to feeble employers Chelsea within the Premier League (gained one, drew one), collectively with his two as Newcastle boss.
- Chelsea’s Eden Hazard has every scored (10) and assisted (10) no longer lower than 10 targets in league video games this season – the best other participant internal the tip 5 European Leagues to bear additionally done so in 2018-19 is Barcelona’s Lionel Messi (sixteen targets, 10 assists).
- Pedro has now scored three targets in his two Premier League starts in opposition to Newcastle at Stamford Bridge – in opposition to no other aspect within the competition has the Spaniard netted more targets for Chelsea (three, stage with Bournemouth).
- Of players with no longer lower than 10 Premier League targets, handiest Ugo Ehiogu (84%) and David Wetherall (87%) bear scored a increased percentage of their targets via their head than Newcastle’s Kieran Clark (eighty three%).
‘We slept for 20 minutes’ – what they acknowledged
Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri talking to BBC Sport: “This present day changed into a must must secure points. We started properly but after the aim we slept for 20 minutes, so by the discontinuance of the first half we were in concern.
“We were better within the 2d half. I am very chuffed with the discontinuance result but we deserve to enhance mentally and technically because we lost most of the ball in a silly draw.
“I mediate our wingers attacked the map better than within the final 5 or six matches but we deserve to assault the sector better.”
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez talking to BBC Sport: “We conceded a purpose we could perhaps additionally steer particular of but after that we were combating for every ball. These players care, you would possibly perhaps perhaps additionally explore that.
“We scored and then controlled the last minute while of the first half so or no longer it is a pity, but a share of quality made the distinction.
“That you just can perhaps perhaps additionally explore a range of positives with the performance but no points. We knew that they’d defend the ball and we needed to maximise what we did after we got the ball. We had some potentialities on the counter but our final cross wasn’t there.”
Next up for Chelsea is an away sport at Arsenal on Saturday, 19 January (17:30 GMT).
Newcastle play their FA Cup third-spherical replay in opposition to Championship aspect Blackburn on Tuesday, 15 January (19:forty five GMT), earlier than returning to league action on Saturday after they host Cardiff Metropolis (15:00 GMT)