Australian trainer Ben Currie has been charged with rather a lot of “extreme welfare breaches” together with giving electrical shocks to horses.
It follows compatriot Darren Weir being banned for four years for possessing Taser-style units, identified as “jiggers”.
Currie is accused of utilizing a jigger on twice and unauthorised “shockwave” remedies.
He is also charged with failing to document bleeding horses to stewards and escape-day remedy breaches.
Currie, who trains at Toowoomba, 80 miles west of Brisbane, is assumed to be one of Queensland’s leading trainers.
Queensland Racing Integrity Commissioner Ross Barnett mentioned an investigation into him started on 7 April final year.
Jiggers can reason horses to escape sooner along with a jockey utilizing their whip.
“The very extreme nature of the animal welfare allegations that enjoy surfaced as a outcomes of this investigation enjoy left us with no different however to behave now within the interests of the Queensland racing industry,” Mr Barnett mentioned.
Currie has been called to a stewards’ inquiry on Monday where he’s going to be requested to present the reasons why he is just not suspended.
Barnett mentioned the latest allegations enjoy been as well to to the 28 alleged rule breaches which stewards issued to Currie in July final year and 4 alleged unlawful substance breaches issued in November and December.
Currie has persevered to put together horses in Queensland. Inquiries into the earlier issues are delayed till the consequence of a Supreme Court listening to on 22 February.
The costs against Currie
Currie has yet to notify on the seven original costs he faces within the investigation. He is charged with:
- Instructing utilizing an electrical or electronic apparatus (jigger) to bring an electrical shock in an act of cruelty on ‘Cordon Rouge’ sooner than racing at Gatton on 30 July 2016.
- The use of a jigger on a horse that has been designed to bring an electrical shock between 1 March 2016 and 7 March 2016.
- Allowing Dog Days Are Over to escape at the Sunshine Waft on 16 April 2017 when it had been subjected to shockwave remedy for the interval of the seven certain day interval sooner than escape day.
- Failing to train stewards when Deep Down bled on 31 May perchance perhaps perchance 2016 and became as soon as then raced by one other trainer till June 2017.
- Failing to train Stewards when Rock Spark bled on 6 April 2017 – the horse, which became as soon as sold rapidly after the incident, persevered to escape below one other trainer.
- Making dishonest statements in now not disclosing to doable customers that Rock Spark bled at Gatton on 6 April 2017.
- Causing the administration of enhance paste to Honey Toast on the day it raced within the Sunshine Waft Cup on 31 January 2016.