Unique Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers “promised the gamers there are particular issues on the horizon” after staring at their exercise over Brighton, stated caretaker boss Mike Stowell.
Rodgers used to be confirmed as boss an hour sooner than kick-off and sat within the stands as Stowell and Adam Sadler took momentary fee after the sacking of Claude Puel on Sunday.
Demarai Grey opened the scoring as he ran onto Youri Tielemans’ lag to shatter dwelling.
Glenn Murray uncared for a honest chance to equalise, when he blazed the ball over from six yards out.
Jamie Vardy doubled Leicester’s lead from James Maddison’s lag, nevertheless Davy Propper gave struggling Brighton hope three minutes later with a crisp low drive.
The Seagulls, who catch yet to exercise a Premier League sport in 2019, would possibly per chance maybe no longer gain an equaliser and remain three parts above the relegation zone.
Leicester had been in similarly wretched score, having failed to exercise Puel’s closing seven video games.
First-team coach Stowell stated: “Brendan’s chuffed. He spoke to the men within the dressing room. He used to be soft with them and loved the spirit.
“The atmosphere has lifted with a exercise and with the new manager because I’m particular he’ll bring diverse right issues. It’s thrilling cases.
“He is bought a presentation to present to them on Thursday on what he expects from them on and off the pitch. I’m fascinated about staring at that.”
- Rodgers’ path to Premier League redemption?
- ‘Sentiment trumped by ambition’ – why Rodgers’ Celtic exit is rarely a surprise
- Reaction to all of Tuesday’s Premier League video games
Signs of encouragement for Rodgers
Puel used to be sacked on Sunday after a 4-1 defeat by Crystal Palace, a sixth loss in seven video games. Leicester gamers were reported no longer to be chuffed with the Frenchman’s solutions, while Foxes followers never in spite of every thing warmed to him.
Nonetheless they without delay appear to catch taken to Rodgers – who has led Celtic to consecutive Scottish trebles and guided Liverpool to the brink of the 2013-14 Premier League title.
The Northern Irishman, who takes fee for the first time at Watford on Sunday, got a standing ovation from the followers when he used to be presented sooner than kick-off.
As a manager who plays a swish sign of soccer and provides formative years a ******, he’ll enjoy what he seen going forward.
Harvey Barnes used to be honest on the left hover, causing Brighton concerns at some stage in, with Tielemans pulling the strings in midfield and Grey on the scoresheet. Maddison looked assist to his playmaking most effective after a decreased impact in fresh weeks, while Ben Chilwell supplied attacking choices from left-assist. All those gamers are 22 or youthful.
The opening honest eager three of them as Barnes obtained the ball on the midway line sooner than finding Tielemans, whose completely weighted lag used to be carried out by Grey, who timed his bustle properly.
Grey virtually added a 2nd moments later used to be nevertheless denied by an correct low Mat Ryan place.
The 2nd honest seen Grey and Maddison hyperlink up sooner than Vardy ran thru to full for his 2nd honest in three video games.
They conceded quickly after, nevertheless showed right defensive resolve to observe the game thru and steal up their first dwelling exercise since beating Manchester Metropolis on 26 December.
Mixed performance for Brighton
Brighton performed in spite of every thing properly in substances, nevertheless their being concerned trot continues. The closing time they obtained within the Premier League, on 29 December in opposition to Everton, they were 11 parts obvious of the bottom three and looked in no risk.
Nonetheless their finest three wins since then catch all been within the FA Cup on their bustle to the quarter-finals. Two parts from their previous seven video games catch left them in right relegation disaster.
They created diverse probabilities at Leicester, with 15 shots in full, and Murray used to be responsible of their two worst misses.
The 35-year-outdated skool, who has scored 106 targets in two spells for Brighton, hopelessly fired over after Pascal Atrocious’ backheel had picked him out in scheme. The playmaker injured himself in selecting out Murray and needed to score changed.
Murray changed his boots without delay after missing that chance nevertheless his new footwear additionally let him down two minutes from the quit as he slammed a volley into the aspect-netting.
Anthony Knockaert pressured an correct place from Kasper Schmeichel within the first half of while most of their other probabilities came from corners, with Shane Duffy and Lewis Dunk missing diverse alternatives each and every.
They did no longer defend poorly, with each and every of Leicester’s targets coming from pacy forwards chasing thru-balls, nevertheless Chris Hughton knows his team deserve to open taking their probabilities and conceding fewer targets if they end no longer desire to tumble assist into the Championship.
“It’s finest us who can turn issues round,” stated Hughton. “We cannot assist talking about character after each and every sport, now we deserve to develop particular we score results. It’s no longer associated how the effects come. Each and as soon as in some time you definately want a little bit of fortune, resilience and grit.
“We weren’t going to fight thru the season with out having a sophisticated interval and or no longer it’s aloof in our fingers. We catch an correct opportunity at dwelling to Huddersfield on Saturday to open selecting up parts.”
Man of the match – Harvey Barnes (Leicester)
Match stats – Grey’s most effective Premier League season
- Brighton (P7 D2 L5) are the finest aspect within the quit four tiers of English Football aloof to exercise a league sport in 2019.
- Leicester are unbeaten in 15 dwelling suits performed on Tuesday (W11 D4) since losing 4-2 to Chelsea within the League Cup third round in September 2016.
- Brighton catch conceded two or more targets in five consecutive away league video games – the Seagulls closing went on a longer such bustle between December 2005 and February 2006 at the same time as within the Championship (seven video games).
- Leicester are unbeaten of their previous 33 Premier League video games at the King Energy Stadium by which they’ve scored the gap honest (W29 D4), since a 5-2 defeat in opposition to Arsenal in September 2015.
- Maddison is the first English midfielder to be fascinated with 10 targets within the Premier League this season (five targets, five assists).
- Demarai Grey’s opener after 9 minutes and 22 seconds used to be Leicester’s quickest league honest of this advertising and marketing and marketing and marketing campaign – he has now scored four targets within the 2018-19 Premier League, his most effective return in a league advertising and marketing and marketing and marketing campaign since six within the 2014-15 Championship season with Birmingham.
- Jamie Vardy has scored in his previous three Premier League appearances for Leicester in opposition to Brighton.
Rodgers takes Leicester to Watford, his first managerial club, on Sunday (12:00 GMT). Brighton are at dwelling to bottom aspect Huddersfield Metropolis on Saturday (15:00 GMT).