Liverpool’s Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich stays finely poised after a goalless attract the principle leg at Anfield.
The hosts posed the greater threat nevertheless were either wasteful in front of purpose or saved out by Bayern’s effectively-marshalled defence.
Sadio Mane overlooked a handful of first-half probabilities, most particularly dragging a shot on the turn broad from internal the penalty build when unmarked.
Joel Matip also did no longer convert Roberto Firmino’s infamous from six yards.
Matip almost handed Bayern an away purpose early on when his misdirected clearance rebounded to safety off Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson.
The German champions were excellent defensively within the 2nd half, with Mane’s eighty fifth-minute header on the near post the closest Liverpool came to scoring.
The 2nd leg on the Allianz Enviornment will take cling of field on 13 March.
- Not a dream result nevertheless a only one – Klopp
- How you rated the gamers
In Champions League history, 31 facets have drawn the principle leg of a knockout match at dwelling 0-0 nevertheless easiest 10 have improved.
Bayern have lost easiest two of their previous 26 dwelling Champions League video games, nevertheless Liverpool know if they’ll rating it might perhaps perhaps presumably perhaps well give them a extensive profit with away dreams counting as double within the event of a blueprint.
If Liverpool are knocked out, they are able to rue their misfiring efficiency at Anfield.
|Liverpool’s 2018-19 Champions League away invent|
|Purple Star Belgrade||Misplaced 2-0|
|Paris St-Germain||Misplaced 2-1|
As adversarial to Mane’s gradual header, which was once saved by Manuel Neuer, their easiest various shot heading within the proper course came from Mohamed Salah within the principle half when he did no longer win enough on a lustrous ball over the high by Jordan Henderson to verify the Bayern goalkeeper.
There had been moments when Liverpool’s trademark one-contact attacking play was once evident, nevertheless in addition they did no longer win essentially the most of promising opportunities.
Credit rating have to also lumber to Bayern. They curbed their have attacking instincts to win a resolute defensive efficiency, with stout-backs Joshua Kimmich and David Alaba and centre-backs Mats Hummels and Niklas Sule impressive.
Makeshift defence does the job
Despite their problems in assault, Liverpool have to serene be contented that their makeshift defence saved Bayern’s forwards soundless.
The Reds were with out Virgil van Dijk, who was once suspended, and the injured Dejan Lovren and Joe Gomez, that method midfielder Fabinho had to have faith in at centre-attend.
There had been shaky moments in possession, with Alisson and Andrew Robertson making sloppy touches early on, nevertheless Liverpool saved Bayern at arm’s size and shunned their opponents from having a shot heading within the proper course.
Robert Lewandowski, the Champions League’s high scorer this season, had 34 touches – the fewest of any participant within the starting line-ups – in conjunction with easiest three within the Liverpool penalty build.
Midfielder Henderson was once also excellent for Liverpool, constantly breaking apart possession.
‘Liverpool have obtained every likelihood’ – evaluation
Frail Premier League striker Dion Dublin
The greater portray is that Liverpool are serene in it.
It is a just result at dwelling – they haven’t conceded and so that they’ve obtained every likelihood of going to Bayern and winning the game.
I just factor in they might perhaps perhaps presumably perhaps well have given themselves a bigger likelihood by setting up more at Anfield.
And I was once hoping the fans would had been somewhat louder – it was once very soundless. The fans were somewhat fearful. Need to you don’t win a purpose, it is seemingly you’ll presumably perhaps well presumably no longer chill out.
Man of the match – Mats Hummels (Bayern Munich)
‘Not a dream result nevertheless a only one’ – reaction
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp to BT Sport: “We made existence more complicated with the last lumber on the novel time – about 10 or 12 cases a promising disaster [fizzled out].
“We can play better. We must always serene play better.
“Within the principle half we had the greater probabilities. I have to no longer aware any probabilities for either aspect within the 2nd half.
“It wasn’t a Champions League night from that level of eye. From a result level of eye, or no longer it is OK. It is no longer a dream result nevertheless it absolutely’s a only one.”
Unbeaten dwelling flee goes on – the finest stats
- Each of Bayern Munich’s previous three visits to Anfield in European competitors have accomplished 0-0; it is miles easiest the 2nd time Liverpool have played out three straight goalless attracts in all competitions against the identical team at Anfield after Tottenham from 1969-1971 (four straight 0-0s).
- This was once Jurgen Klopp’s thirtieth managerial meeting with Bayern in all competitions – more than any various opponent in his profession – nevertheless the principle to attain 0-0.
- Liverpool extended their unbeaten dwelling flee in all European competitions to twenty video games (W14 D6); this was once their 11th trim sheet in that flee.
- Bayern are now unbeaten in 9 successive away video games within the Champions League (W6 D3).
- Liverpool have played out a goalless attract the principle leg of a Champions League knockout tie for easiest the 2nd time, and the principle for the reason that 2004-05 semi-final against Chelsea.
- Bayern are one in every of easiest three facets who haven’t been beaten in this season’s Champions League (P7 W4 D3 L0) along with Lyon and Barcelona.
- Liverpool’s Alisson has saved eight trim sheets in 10 dwelling Champions League appearances for the reason that commence of last season (5 for Roma, 3 for Liverpool), at least double the entire of any various goalkeeper in that duration.
- Bayern did no longer have a shot heading within the proper course in a Champions League sport for the principle time for the reason that semi-final first leg at Barcelona in 2015.