Wasteful Barcelona would possibly possibly well possibly no longer convert any of their 25 shots in a goalless Champions League final-16 first-leg arrangement towards Lyon.
In most cases so proficient in entrance of design, Barca’s Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Phillipe Coutinho had been all denied by Lyon goalkeeper Anthony Lopes.
Lyon had possibilities, too, but Marc-Andre ter Stegen brilliantly tipped Martin Terrier’s long-range shot onto the bar.
The return leg takes converse on the Nou Camp on Wednesday, 13 March.
Champions Barca are high of La Liga, seven points certain of 2nd-positioned Atletico Madrid, but they’ve no longer acquired Europe’s premier rivals since 2015 after they defeated Juventus within the closing.
Going into this tie, Ernesto Valverde’s aspect had been heavy favourites to development to the quarter-finals for the 11th consecutive season, but their wretched ending leaves the tie within the steadiness.
The Catalans have now drawn four of their final five games in all competitions and can must have netted twice within the outlet four minutes but Ousmane Dembele scuffed off target and Messi dinked a free-kick over.
When Barca did call on Lopes, they stumbled on the Lyon #1 in improbable produce, springing high within the 2nd half of to tip over Sergio Busquets’ power, the most efficient of his five saves within the game.
French membership Lyon, the most efficient aspect to beat runaway Ligue 1 leaders Paris St-Germain this season, would possibly possibly well possibly have snatched a design themselves but Houssem Aouar’s strike used to be pushed away by Germany global Ter Stegen and Memphis Depay screwed a shot huge from the perspective.
Pique the centurion – the stats
- Barcelona are winless of their final six Champions League away knockout games (D2 L4), failing to ranking in five of those.
- Lyon have drawn every of their final six Champions League games, equalling the file for most consecutive draws in a single Champions League season along with AEK Athens (2002/03) and Rangers (2005/06).
- Lyon have failed to beat Barcelona in all seven of their Champions League clashes (D3 L4).
- This used to be the significant time since 15 March, 2016 that two Champions League knockout fits performed 0-0 (Atletico Madrid v PSV and Manchester Metropolis v Dynamo Kiev).
- Barcelona’s Lionel Messi tried 9 shots on this match, four extra than Lyon registered. Or no longer it is the joint-very best entire without scoring for a participant on this season’s Champions League (additionally Luis Suarez v Inter in Nov and Cristiano Ronaldo v Valencia in November).
- Suarez has gone over 24 hours of taking part in time since he final scored an away design within the Champions League (1508 minutes).
- Lyon failed to land a single shot heading within the correct direction within the 2nd half of, attempting exact two across your entire sport.
- Gerard Pique grew to turn into the seventh participant to realize 100+ appearances for Barcelona within the Champions League (additionally Xavi, Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta, Carles Puyol, Victor Valdes and Sergio Busquets).