Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang punished slack Newcastle defending to offer Arsenal victory at a rain-soaking moist St James’ Park.
Starting up with deal of their £125m-worth of signings on the bench and with out midfielders Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac, Gunners boss Unai Emery watched his aspect battle to lower by their opponents within the principle half of.
That each and every changed appropriate before the hour designate when Aubameyang used to be left unmarked on the perimeter of the dwelling, level-headed Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ inappropriate from the magnificent and fired past Martin Dubravka.
As for Steve Bruce, his Newcastle managerial debut used to be about what would possibly perhaps perhaps presumably were.
The Magpies’ file signing Joelinton went end with a shot blocked by Bernd Leno, before Jonjo Shelvey saw his force crash off the woodwork.
The dwelling aspect were flat for mighty of the second half of, although one other fresh recruit, the thrilling cruise prospect Allan Saint-Maximin, tested German Leno with a end to-submit force.
Aubameyang makes the difference
Unai Emery went by a range of emotions in his dugout dwelling all the arrangement by the principle duration, starting from misfortune to anger.
His pretty makeshift Arsenal starting XI, with out the experienced Ozil and Kolasinac, struggled with each and every the must haves and the five-man Newcastle midfield.
They entirely spread out the Magpies’ defence twice in that opening duration, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan firing wildly over before Aubameyang struck a company force at Dubravka.
All facets had pacy frontmen, however entirely one used to be proven at this stage. And when Aubameyang, who scored 22 Premier League targets closing season, used to be given a second likelihood at purpose he took it brilliantly.
The Gabon worldwide used to be inexplicably given a free flee into the dwelling as Jamaal Lascelles went AWOL, and slotted in Maitland-Niles’ delivery from the magnificent.
Ivorian winger Pepe and Ceballos got a flee-out however made small influence, although had Maitland-Niles’ inappropriate reached the file signing within the dwelling leisurely on, then we would need seen a purpose on his debut.
No query we are in a position to explore why Arsenal paid £72m to Lille for him within the coming weeks.
Positives in defeat for Newcastle
As a faded centre-half of himself, Bruce would were upset to personal seen skipper Lascelles drawn in direction of the ball which left Aubameyang free to attain the decider.
Up unless then his backline coped admirably with the scuttle of the Gunners – producing the make of disciplined show seen on endless instances below the stewardship of predecessor Rafael Benitez.
On the assorted live BrazilianJoelintonhad a sharp debut, and roused the dwelling crowd when he slalomed past two challenges to hammer in a low shot saved by Leno.
And Shelvey, who will likely be hoping to once extra turn out to be an everyday fixture within the Newcastle midfield, showed his prowess from distance with a vicious force which shook the rain off the woodwork.
Joelinton and Miguel Almiron each and every worked tirelessly, however didn’t reasonably click on up front as they partnered each and every diverse for the principle time in a aggressive fixture.
But it is worth noting that Ayoze Perez and Salomon Rondon took unless the second half of of closing season to make a potent union, which in the end reaped 23 targets.
There used to be ample proven on the pitch on Sunday to point out that there are better days to come abet for Joelinton and Almiron.
Man of the match – Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal)
Younger Gunners – the stats
- Arsenal named two English youngsters (Joe Willock and Reiss Nelson) of their starting XI for a Premier League game for the principle time since February 1998 (Paolo Vernazza and Matthew Upson v Crystal Palace), before either Willock or Nelson were born.
- The Gunners won and saved a colorful sheet of their opening game of a Premier League season for the principle time since 2008-09.
- Newcastle haven’t won their opening game in any of their closing six Premier League campaigns.
- Newcastle supervisor Steve Bruce suffered defeat in his first game at a brand fresh club for the principle time since December 2001, when he started his Birmingham City reign with a 2-1 defeat to Wolves within the second tier.
- Arsenal personal entirely lost regarded as one of their 25 Premier League games below Unai Emery when opening the scoring.
- Since making his Premier League debut for Arsenal in February 2018, entirely Mohamed Salah (36) has scored extra targets within the competition than Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (33).
- Nicolas Pepe made his Premier League debut for Arsenal, turning into the 2 hundredth player to characteristic for the Gunners within the competition.
Newcastle are at newly-promoted Norwich City on Saturday (15:00 BST) while Arsenal to find on Burnley at the Emirates on the a similar day within the early kick-off (12:30 BST).