A sublime purpose by Fabian Schar helped ease Newcastle United’s relegation worries as Burnley’s unbeaten eight-sport Premier League pace came to an cease.
Schar establish Rafael Benitez’s aspect on the potential to a fourth grab in six league video games with a great strike from around 30 yards which went in off the post.
Burnley, who delight in picked up extra points in 2019 than leaders Liverpool, fell extra within the wait on of when they didn’t sure Matt Ritchie’s sinister and 21-365 days-frail academy graduate Sean Longstaff pounced for his first league purpose for the membership.
James Tarkowski wasted Burnley’s handiest probability when he fired over from right throughout the six-yard dwelling.
- Follow dwell text commentary from St James’ Park
- Follow Tuesday’s Premier League action
Newcastle’s 2nd successive grab lifts them above Burnley into Thirteenth within the table, seven points above the relegation zone.
Almiron the spark within the wait on of Magpies resurgence
There’s silent work to attain for Benitez’s crew to stable a third successive season within the cease-tier nevertheless this was a efficiency filled with positives.
United’s fable signing Miguel Almiron was all as soon as more the catalyst as he adopted up his full debut at the weekend with every other dynamic unique.
His explosive tempo ended in Burnley’s defence all forms of considerations and the Paraguay forward is a success over followers, who were crying out for a new hero, with his attitude and no longer at all-advise-*** spirit.
After he was thwarted by Tom Heaton after beating the off-aspect trap, he replied with a smile and was given a standing ovation when he was modified by Paul Dummett in direction of the cease after running himself into the bottom.
Longstaff, too, has a promising future at Newcastle.
After Schar’s stunning enact establish the hosts on their potential, he confirmed mighty composure to double the lead from an acute attitude.
“He is working exhausting, paying consideration to workers and finding out which is the key thing,” mentioned Benitez about Longstaff.
“Having a young lad from the academy is a mighty example for folks to exhaust. It is a ways terribly perfect for any membership to thrill in gamers through academy due to they’re cheaper and so that they give you additional.”
Newcastle were within the relegation zone as no longer too long ago as 12 January.
They are slowly edging away from hazard nevertheless Benitez is aware of extra performances fancy this are needed outdated to they’ll relax.
Burnley fail to lift on disappointing evening
This was Burnley’s first league defeat since 26 December.
Anchored within the relegation zone two months ago, Sean Dyche’s aspect delight in transformed their season with peek-catching performances in opposition to Tottenham and Manchester United.
At St James’ Park, they fell below the standards they delight in no longer too long ago establish.
Even supposing there was runt Heaton might maybe maybe attain to lend a hand out Schar’s unimaginable enact, the defending for Longstaff’s purpose was sorrowful.
Tarkowski’s evident omit loyal outdated to half of-time proved needed, while Burnley’s gamers wanted a penalty when Matt Ritchie went into the wait on of Johann Berg Gudmundsson as he was about to shoot.
Dyche despatched on 38-365 days-frail Peter Crouch, who has scored in opposition to Newcastle with four utterly different golf equipment within the Premier League, to strive to drag a purpose wait on.
As a substitute the feeble England forward picked up a yellow card.
Dyche hopes his aspect’s below-par exhibiting was a blip comparatively than the rest extra caring.
“Our performances were good and now we delight in got earned the absolute best to be the attach we are,” mentioned the Burnley boss.
“We attain delight in the phenomenal sport fancy this nevertheless it is an even reminder for the gamers.”
Man of the match – Fabian Schar (Newcastle)
Home comforts – the stats
- No aspect has picked up extra Premier League points at home in 2019 so a ways than Newcastle United’s 12.
- After a success loyal two of their opening 11 home league video games of this season, Newcastle delight in received four consecutive home league video games for the first time since final April.
- This was the first time Burnley delight in lost a Premier League sport with Tom Heaton in purpose since August 2017.
- Newcastle delight in carried out a league double over Burnley for the first time for the explanation that 1954-55 high-flight campaign.
- Fabian Schar’s purpose was Newcastle’s first to be scored from outdoors the box in this season’s Premier league from their 121st such strive from outdoors the dwelling in 2018-19.
- Former 21 years and 119 days, Sean Longstaff is the youngest player to attain for Newcastle within the Premier League since Rolando Aarons netted ragged twenty years and 181 days in opposition to Spurs in Could 2016.
Newcastle head to London on Saturday to face West Ham (17:30 GMT) while Burnley entertain Crystal Palace (15:00 GMT).