Watford earned their first Premier League say of the season as they moved off the backside of the desk at the expense of opponents Norwich.
The Hornets’ victory, their first in the tip flight since April, manner they leapfrog Southampton and the hosts, whose enjoy winless toddle has now stretched to a seventh game.
Gerard Deulofeu’s aim after 76 seconds after some lax defending from Emiliano Buendia residing Watford on their manner and Andre Grey’s conclude-vary flick from a Deulofeu depraved secured the capabilities.
Nonetheless they’d to survive for 25 minutes with 10 males after Christian Kabasele became disregarded for his 2nd yellow card.
That supplied the hosts with some impetus in the closing phases however Quique Sanchez Flores’ facet held company to develop a indispensable league victory since his return to the club.
The Hornets, who enjoy struggled for goals this time length, displayed a scientific sprint that had unless now been absent, scoring with their handiest two efforts now now not off be conscious.
Norwich enjoy now gone 10 Premier League dwelling games with out keeping a neatly-organized sheet – a toddle stretching wait on to their previous marketing campaign in the tip flight – and reduction the worst defensive narrative in the division.
Deulofeu stars on sure evening for Watford
Watford’s season has to this level followed a neatly-recognized sample of failing to transform chances in front of aim earlier than being punished at the quite a lot of discontinuance.
So this became a welcome reversal of fortune for Sanchez Flores, who had overseen four draws and three defeats in his seven fits guilty since changing compatriot Javi Gracia in September.
The Spanish boss can even were encouraged by having the capacity to name Troy Deeney in a Hornets squad for the principle time since August.
And while the bodily presence and bustling firepower that the 31-yr-vulnerable can provide may maybe perhaps but point out pivotal if Watford are to flip their season spherical, Deulofeu’s stir became needed in East Anglia.
Dispossessing Buendia, Deulofeu drifted into the Norwich penalty space from the simply unopposed and drilled a low left-foot shot previous Canaries goalkeeper Tim Krul into the backside left nook from 15 yards.
Whereas Deulofeu clearly has the potential to frustrate his physique of workers-mates at times, by failing to be conscious wait on or produce runs in in the wait on of opposition defences, the former Barcelona and Everton forward also created Watford’s 2nd.
Latching on to a ball down the left channel, the 25-yr-vulnerable teased Max Aarons earlier than picking out Grey, whose tried backheel deflected off Jamal Lewis into the backside left nook.
“We desire sure energy and scoring early is how you feed the energy of the avid gamers,” said Sanchez Flores.
“The avid gamers had been certainly robust. They kept their shape and every little thing became certainly simply. The fans had been for a truly long time waiting, waiting, waiting. This became for the fans, they deserve it.”
Norwich lacking firepower and paying for a ‘nursery’ mistake
Whereas Norwich perceived to derive protect watch over of the game in the principle half, there became a obvious inevitability relating to the discontinuance consequence when they’d fallen in the wait on of to Deulofeu’s early aim.
“It [Norwich’s start] became a catastrophe,” said Canaries head coach Daniel Farke.
“They switched to 5 at the wait on and it became complex to gain chances against them so that it’s good to invite them with this form of nursery mistake became a self perception enhance for them. It became a game-defining moment.”
Farke’s facet may maybe perhaps enjoy dominated possession however their struggles had been underscored by a lack of creativity and thrust in front of aim.
Norwich are also but to develop some extent this season after conceding the principle aim, with Teemu Pukki’s make indicative of their concerns.
The Finland worldwide started the selling campaign prolifically with six goals in his first five games however has now failed to rating in his previous seven outings for the club.
And while he labored away industriously all evening, producing more sprints than any assorted player (19), he barely obtained into the positions to test Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster.
Cuban winger Onel Hernandez supplied some menace down the left, many times beating Kabasele earlier than he became disregarded however he became underused thereafter, with the energetic Todd Cantwell also launched too uninteresting.
It ensured the hosts ended the evening with their joint-lowest tally at this stage of a top-flight season.
Man of the Match – Gerard Deulofeu (Watford)
Massive-sub Grey – the stats
- Watford registered their first Premier League say at the 12th strive in 2019-20 and ended a toddle of 15 league games with out a victory, stretching wait on to April.
- Norwich are the sixth newly promoted facet to lose as many as 9 of their opening 12 Premier League games to a season – four of the previous five went on to be relegated (the exception being Crystal Palace in 2013-14).
- This became the principle away Premier League say by a physique of workers starting the day backside of the desk since final November, when Huddersfield Metropolis obtained 2-0 at Wolves.
- Watford striker Andre Grey has more Premier League goals in its save in 2019 than any assorted player (3).
- In only two Premier League appearances on a Friday, Watford’s Gerard Deulofeu has been desirous about six goals, scoring four times and helping two.
- Deulofeu’s aim after 76 seconds for Watford became the 2nd-quickest away aim scored in the Premier League this season, in the wait on of handiest Harry Kane’s effort after 47 seconds for Spurs at Liverpool.
- Norwich are quiet with out a condo Premier League neatly-organized sheet this season, one in every of handiest three groups with out one, along with Liverpool and Southampton.
- Since returning to the Premier League in 2015-16, Watford enjoy bought more red playing cards than any assorted top-flight physique of workers (17).
- Watford enjoy kept three neatly-organized sheets of their final five Premier League games, having kept none of their 19 games previous to this.
Norwich inch to Everton on Saturday, 23 November (15:00 GMT) for their next Premier League fixture, while Watford host Burnley on the identical day (also 15:00).