It be been four years, nevertheless the Green Bay Packers as soon as extra are one take some distance from playing within the Huge Bowl.
Within the help of some late-sport heroics from Aaron Rodgers to ice it, the No. 2 seed Packers edged a sport fifth-seeded Seahawks squad at home, 28-23, to accomplish their first NFC Championship look since 2016.
Next up for the Packers will be a colossal showdown against the head-seeded 49ers at Levi’s Stadium with the NFC championship and a region in Huge Bowl LIV on the line (Jan. 19, 6:40 p.m. ET on FOX).
Here’s what we realized from Green Bay’s take:
1. Would these Packers if truth be told take any various formula? Green Bay raced out to a mountainous lead and looked admire it could perchance well cruise to victory, nevertheless we’re going to have to have known better. Seattle battled its formula aid, making up flooring by conserving the ball out of Aaron Rodgers’ fingers, nevertheless within the discontinue it used to be a dilapidated Seahawk who destroyed Seattle’s hopes with a third-down conversion.
This season’s Packers have on occasion received convincingly, and Sunday additionally didn’t turn a ton of non-believers into born-every other time Packer fans. That would not subject to them, although, on story of a take counts the the same regardless of the vogue by which it is completed. They all peep the the same within the file book and so that they taste simply as steady to the tens of thousands who packed Lambeau Topic for this one.
2. We have to always not be bowled over that Davante Adams used to be every other time the one to accomplish an enormous play to push the Packers to a victory. Green Bay’s certain-lower No. 1 wideout and giant name receiver racked up 160 yards and two ratings on simply eight receptions (math wizards will expose you that is 20 yards per reception) and made an enormous handle third down late to elongate Green Bay’s pressure to the 2-minute warning and pressure Seattle to burn its final two timeouts. It used to be a tumble within the bucket — or a web toss into the cornhole board gap over a wall of six piled-up bags, whereas you salvage a demand to Chris Wesseling — and a stellar take within the Packers’ finest moment of the season up to now. Would Aaron Rodgers if truth be told trust somebody various than Adams? Happily for him, he did not have to, capping a stellar day for the receiver.
3. Within the discontinue, the Seahawks looked noteworthy admire the crew they had been by the purpose they arrived at Lambeau: battered, bruised and struggling to enter a corpulent escape to the NFC Championship Game. Seattle, which gave the impression so sturdy for a gradual allotment of the season, used to be a shell of itself for a huge piece of Sunday’s contest, making for a sport that used to be handiest interesting after the Seahawks tried valiantly to lower Green Bay’s deficit. That effort came up fast, although, serving to Green Bay web its 14th take and a outing to Santa Clara. The Packers persisted to be who they’ve been for a whereas now: extra healthy, extra atmosphere friendly and in a position to if truth be told opening it up on the help stretch, yet by no methodology quite inserting a sport away unless the very discontinue. That discontinue proved to be the adaptation late, although, when the Packers desperately desired to search out a ability to dwell Russell Wilson from waving his wand and inserting the lesser Seahawks forward. They did enough to edge the Seahawks, who will thank Marshawn Lynch for his contributions, review the tape and try and speed issues aid every other time in 2020.
4. Seattle dominated Green Bay in 2d-half of time of possession and bought enough from its speeding a****k (110 yards and two touchdowns on 24 makes an try) nevertheless could well not capitalize late as soon as its protection lastly purchased a colossal dwell. The largest tumble by Malik Turner on first down undercut a pressure that looked promising after a first-down completion to Tyler Lockett for 14 yards, and the Seahawks by no methodology recovered, with Wilson checking all the formula down to Jacob Hollister within the flat earlier than being sacked on third down. All of us outfitted for some Wilson magic, on story of QB heroics is the handiest formula a Seahawks-Packers playoff assembly can even discontinue, correct? As a substitute, a lob to Adams and fast completion to Jimmy Graham (revenge: earned) used to be essentially the most magic we could procure and it came from Rodgers, not Wilson.
5. Za’Darius Smith used to be snubbed from the All-Skilled and Skilled bowl honors he deserved and he ragged his undershirt to negate us early, nevertheless this used to be an entire defensive effort. He and Preston Smith mixed for four sacks and Kenny Clark added one other, serving to neutralize Wilson’s impression in key moments. For a moment late within the 2d half of, it looked admire the noteworthy-improved unit can even be Green Bay’s downfall, giving up just a few landing drives and showing their frustration on the sideline, nevertheless that Packers’ chase bustle came up within the snatch, taking down Wilson on a basic third down. The sack forced Seattle to punt, giving up the ball to entire what used to be within the waste their final possession of the season.
6. Rodgers is headed aid to Northern California for a basic sport not up to 200 miles from his fatherland against the conference’s top seed. He would not articulate noteworthy about it straight after the sport, nevertheless after a pair of postseasons spent at home, this is big for the 36-year-ragged. The final time the Packers and 49ers met within the postseason in California, Candlestick Park aloof existed and Jim Harbaugh used to be aloof instructing within the NFL. It be been a whereas, and time is of the essence for Rodgers, who arrives with a first-time head coach and a crew that would not take in comely style nevertheless racks up the victories. They’ll meet a protection with a severely better chase bustle than the one which sacked him twice Sunday and so that they’ll have to fight the raucous crowd at Levi’s Stadium. If any quarterback used to be outfitted to lead a slightly inexperienced crew into fight, it is Rodgers.