Steven Bergwijn marked his debut with a extraordinary volley as Tottenham received a unsuitable-tempered Premier League affair with 10-man Manchester Metropolis to spice up their high-four hopes.
The lifts Spurs to fifth, four formula within the advantage of fourth-positioned Chelsea, whereas Metropolis remain second, 22 formula within the advantage of leaders Liverpool who can steal the title on 21 March when they play Crystal Palace.
The 22-twelve months-frail’s aim came with Spurs’ first shot heading within the correct course, after Oleksandr Zinchenko had been brushed apart for a second yellow card and Metropolis midfielder Ilkay Gundogan had viewed a indispensable-half penalty saved by Hugo Lloris.
Son Heung-min’s effort, which deflected off Fernandinho as it flew past Metropolis goalkeeper Ederson into the underside left corner confirmed a treasured victory for the hosts.
Pep Guardiola’s Metropolis facet had arrived in London chasing their fifth consecutive league steal and dominated possession nonetheless failed to convert a glut of comely possibilities.
Lloris brilliantly flicked a Sergio Aguero effort on to the post and the Argentine became once then on the centre of a chaotic brief time against the stop of the first half, worthwhile a penalty awarded by VAR following Serge Aurier’s clumsy scenario.
Gundogan then any other time, noticed his put-kick – which took four minutes to be given – saved by Spurs keeper Lloris, with VAR then asked to rule on whether the France goalkeeper had fouled Metropolis’s Raheem Sterling as each pursued the rebound.
Tottenham’s Toby Alderweireld and Zinchenko had been booked as each gadgets of players confronted each other within the aftermath, whereas Spurs boss Jose Mourinho appeared angered on the referee’s failure to book Sterling for diving when a second penalty became once no longer awarded.
Sterling had earlier appeared lucky to flee with handiest a 12th-minute reserving, after replays confirmed his studs touchdown on the ankle and lower shin of Spurs midfielder Dele Alli.
Metropolis though had been diminished to 10 men after the crash, with Ukrainian Zinchenko receiving his marching orders for a pass on Harry Winks.
That allowed Spurs to plot a foothold within the sport, with Bergwijn firing Lucas Moura’s suave pass into the underside correct corner from 15 yards to put them on their formula.
Bergwijn makes instantaneous impression
Till the hour assign this had looked fancy being one other event on which Spurs had been going to sorely trot over Harry Kane as the point of hobby of their a****k.
Son and Moura equipped dynamism and debutant Bergwijn confirmed some shipshape touches, nonetheless Kane’s means to seize the ball and carry others into play became once absent as the hosts repelled wave after wave of Metropolis assaults.
After which the sport dramatically swung in Tottenham’s favour, thanks largely to Winks’ surge forward which drew Zinchenko into a rash scenario and hastened his early departure.
Metropolis, who had been readying Gabriel Jesus, had been all of sudden pressured into a rethink and whereas they tried to reorganise Spurs went ahead.
Bergwijn, who arrived on the membership on Wednesdayin a £27m deal from PSV Eindhovenhad final scored on 7 December in opposition to Fortuna Sittard.
But there became once nothing routine regarding the scheme in which he presented himself to supporters of the north London membership – capping a tenacious demonstrate with a beautiful aim.
It marked a dream debut for the Netherlands winger, who pulled up with cramp within the second half, nonetheless who became once afforded a hero’s ovation when he became once withdrawn after 70 minutes.
Metropolis lack finishing touch
Whereas Spurs supervisor Mourinho cut a frustrated figure within the first duration over perceived injustices, the roles had been reversed after the crash with his frail nemesis Guardiola exhibiting indignant by his private team.
Having reminded his Metropolis facet to be“more clinical”after their Manchester derby loss on Wednesday, he appeared agitated by their first-half penalty trot over and the resolution now to no longer award them a second penalty.
And that became once compounded two minutes into the second duration when German midfielder Gundogan omitted a gilt-edged chance, firing over from six yards after Sterling had laid the ball into his course and Aguero’s initial effort became once cleared off the line by Alderweireld.
The champions had 18 shots nonetheless handiest hit the aim five cases and each substitute Jesus and Bernardo Silva had been unable to convert gradual possibilities.
Metropolis’s lack of slicing edge ensured a sixth defeat of the season, which is as many as of their past two title-worthwhile campaigns mixed.
Man of the match – Giovani Lo Celso (Tottenham)
‘It occurred any other time’ – what they mentioned
Tottenham supervisor Jose Mourinho told BBC Match of the Day:“With about a attracts of oldsters within the the same apartment of the table as us, it became once vital to procure three formula. We aloof hang an judge on fourth. It became once a match the put apart the quality of the opponent. You seize to wish to steal, nonetheless you would lose. I’m delighted with the boys.
“Very top [VAR] Kevin Friend can repeat why it became once no longer a crimson card [for Raheem Sterling]. He has the chance to test any other time. That resolution would commerce the sport. It would possibly potentially no longer be such an pleasant game, one team with one participant more for an hour is a wide advantage. I mediate it’s a definite crimson card.”
On Steven Bergwijn’s aim:“It be potentially the most efficient formula to come to a membership. We had been no longer striking stress on him. We signed him early within the week, so we had time for him to practice and keep in touch. He is terribly lustrous, humble. At dwelling in opposition to the champions, to rating a aim, no longer a recurring aim, couldn’t be higher for him.”
On beating Pep Guardiola:“It be a pleasure to procure three formula in a match the put apart we knew it’d be very advanced. I of course hang higher emotions for Pep than you would imagine. We labored collectively for 3 years.”
Manchester Metropolis boss Pep Guardiola told Sky Sports:“We played smartly nonetheless misplaced the sport. It occurred any other time. They had two shots and scored two targets.
“I build no longer hang too many things to claim regarding the efficiency. Now we would like to accept it and analyse it. It is no longer straightforward. We did of course smartly, honestly.
“With this efficiency, how ought to I be serious? This efficiency would possibly perhaps be an extraordinary mistake to claim how unsuitable they are. We created possibilities and conceded few.
“A few cases this season it has occurred. The sending off became once a key point. We mentioned at half-time be careful, yellow playing cards are a fast and fast movement.”
But any other Metropolis participant sees crimson – the stats
- Spurs picked up their first Premier League steal in opposition to Manchester Metropolis since October 2016, which became once additionally a 2-0 victory on dwelling soil (at White Hart Lane).
- Manchester Metropolis hang now misplaced six video games within the Premier League this season, their joint-most in a single advertising and marketing and marketing campaign below supervisor Pep Guardiola (six in 2016-17).
- Spurs boss Jose Mourinho picked up his sixth steal in opposition to Guardiola all the scheme in which via all competitions – handiest Jurgen Klopp has defeated him on more cases (8). Nonetheless, Mourinho has now received in opposition to Guardiola with four diversified groups (Inter Milan, Valid Madrid, Manchester United and Spurs), potentially the most of any supervisor.
- Manchester Metropolis hang long gone consecutive video games with out scoring for the first time below Guardiola, having final completed so advantage in March 2016 below Manuel Pellegrini (three video games with out a aim).
- Steven Bergwijn’s opener for Spurs noticed him change into the 250th participant to rating on his debut within the Premier League, and the 13th Dutchman to construct so.
- Since the starting up of 2016-17, handiest Jamie Vardy (6) has scored more targets in opposition to Guardiola’s Manchester Metropolis than Spurs’ Son Heung-min (5) all the scheme in which via all competitions.
- Manchester Metropolis hang failed to rating four of the final six penalties they hang taken all the scheme in which via all competitions, with three diversified players accounting for these failed put-kicks (Gabriel Jesus x2, Raheem Sterling and Ilkay Gundogan).
- Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has saved three of the final four penalties he has faced within the Premier League – certainly, the Frenchman has now made the joint-most penalty saves for the membership within the competitors (five – alongside with Heurelho Gomes).
- Oleksandr Zinchenko turned the third Manchester Metropolis participant to be despatched off within the Premier League this season – no team had been awarded more crimson playing cards than Guardiola’s facet in 2019-20.
Tottenham host Southampton in an FA Cup fourth-round replay on Wednesday, 5 February (19:45 GMT), sooner than returning to Premier League movement at Aston Villa on Sunday, 16 February (14:00).
Manchester Metropolis host West Ham of their subsequent Premier League game on Sunday, 9 February (16:30).