Australian Caleb Ewan gained a bunch jog to snatch stage 16 of the Tour de France, while Julian Alaphilippe retained the final lead.
The Lotto Soudal rider surged from deep to pip Elia Viviani on the line in Nimes and clutch his 2d stage engage.
Britain’s Geraint Thomas crashed when his gears jammed with 130km to paddle.
The defending champion sustained grazes to his left-hand aspect but done safely within the bunch to dwell 95 seconds within the abet of Frenchman Alaphilippe.
“I had one hand on the bars and the gears jumped and jammed and I got thrown off my bike on a nook,” Thomas, 33, quick ITV4.
“I knew the bustle wasn’t on so I appropriate got abet into the neighborhood, it’s appropriate frustrating. It used to be this kind of freak ingredient.”
Whereas Thomas refrained from crucial harm, Astana’s Jakob Fuglsang, who started the day in ninth total, used to be forced to desert after crashing with 27km remaining.
His group later mentioned the Dane had no longer sustained any fractures but had “heavy contusions on his hand, palms and knees.”
Thomas came down on an innocuous appropriate-hand bend when his front wheel slipped from underneath him.
The Personnel Ineos rider has now crashed three times all the plan through the Tour and, despite the truth that none were crucial, he’ll hope they attain no longer add up to hold an affect on his create.
Finest 39 seconds duvet Thomas in 2d to Emanuel Buchmann in sixth, with three tricky phases within the Alps that can resolve this 365 days’s champion beginning on Thursday.
A flat route and the dearth of sturdy crosswinds to separate the bustle meant there used to be little commonplace classification action but this used to be peaceable one other attempting out day, with temperatures reaching 40C on the 177km stage, which also started in Nimes.
“I felt so shocking all the plan through the day – the warmth truly got to me and I was struggling so grand I was going to declare the group to construct up off the front of the peloton,” Ewan mentioned.
“However I had additional motivation – my daughter and spouse are right here and I’m so happy I may engage for them. Now I’ve gained two phases, I will’t own it.”
With stage 16 the closing opportunity for the sprinters earlier than the rest day in Paris, the 5-man breakaway of Lars Bak, Alexis Gougeard, Paul Ourselin, Stephane Rossetto and Lukasz Wisniowski were by no plan allowed to construct up grand better than two minutes up the avenue.
They stayed away longer than anticipated but were caught interior the rest 3km as the sprinters’ teams took payment.
Deceuninck Rapid-Step’s Viviani regarded in prime living with two group-mates main him into the rest 300m, but Ewan started his jog early to construct up up the deficit, flying past his competitors and retaining them off on the line.
Stage 16 consequence
1. Caleb Ewan (Aus/Lotto-Soudal) 3hrs 57mins 8secs
2. Elia Viviani (Ita/Deceuninck Rapid-Step) Same time
3. Dylan Groenewegen (Ned/Jumbo-Visma)
4. Peter Sagan (Slv/Bora-Hansgrohe)
5. Niccolo Bonifazio (Ita/Suppose Energie)
6. Michael Matthews (Aus/Personnel Sunweb)
7. Matteo Trentin (Ita/Mitchelton – Scott)
8. Jasper Stuyven (Bel/Recede-Segafredo)
9. Alexander Kristoff (Nor/Personnel Emirates)
10. Andrea Pasqualon (Ita/Wanty-Gobert)
Long-established classification after stage 16
1. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra/Deceuninck Rapid-Step) 64hrs 57mins 30secs
2. Geraint Thomas (GB/Personnel Ineos) +1min 35secs
3. Steven Kruijswijk (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) +1min 47secs
4. Thibaut Pinot (Fra/Groupama-FDJ) +1min 50secs
5. Egan Bernal (Col/Personnel Ineos) +2mins 2secs
6. Emanuel Buchmann (Ger/Bora-Hansgrohe) +2mins 14secs
7. Mikel Landa (Spa/Movistar) +4mins 54secs
8. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +5mins
9. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Training First) +5mins 33secs
10. Richie Porte (Aus/Recede-Segafredo) +6mins 30secs