What we learned from Friday’s preseason games
The second gameday of Week 2 of the 2019 preseason saw a solid second begin from Daniel Jones, Josh Rosen’s first begin in Miami and Clifton Duck’s origin story. Right here is what we learned:
Buffalo Bills 27, Carolina Panthers 14
1. If Friday nights are meant for excellent cases with pals, Josh Allen and Cole Beasley spent theirs taking a gaze fancy handiest pals in Charlotte. In a single quarter of action, the second-three hundred and sixty five days quarterback regarded sharp on the dual carriageway in opposition to the Panthers, going 9-for-11 for 102 yards. A reasonably solid statline if you take care of in thoughts the crew bested Carolina 195-85 in first-half passing yards. Yes, or no longer it is worth pointing out that Allen didn’t throw a touchdown for the second straight week — he went 6-for-11 versus the Colts in Week 1 — however he also once extra steer clear off an interception.
His lumber-to accommodate, who also occurs to be one of his most up-to-date, modified into the savvy Beasley. Whether it modified into screens or balls thrown in-move, Beasley modified into there, ending with 5 catches for 44 yards. Seeing these two join early speaks volumes to the feedback Allen made about Beasley in June when he known as him a “safety valve.” Effectively, if Week 2 is any indication, the Bills could even’ve in the end chanced on the wanted fraction to tighten up their receiving corps.
2. Friday ended up being a story of two Allens, as Panthers QB Kyle Allen didn’t absorb reasonably the same impact as his Bills counterpart. Nevertheless, on the other hand, the same will most definitely be acknowledged for all of the crew’s QBs, given their performances versus Buffalo.
In a few quarter and a half of action, Allen modified into unable to get going, winding up four of his 11 makes an strive for 32 yards. His replacement, rookie Will Grier, showed his rising distress practically straight. On the second play of his first series, Grier threw to receiver Torrey Smith in double coverage and had it picked by cornerback Kevin Johnson, who returned it for a 70-yard TD. Total, Grier ended his night going a modest 10-of-19 for 75 yards however had several overthrown balls and missed targets to his name.
To spherical out the rotation, Taylor Heinicke saw reps late within the sport and led an 11-play, 70-yard TD pressure when the sport modified into practically out of attain. He executed 8-of-12 for 78 yards. In all, the backup QB job within the aid of Cam Newton is unruffled large originate as the crew continues to overview their alternatives. Both Heinicke, closing three hundred and sixty five days’s QB2, and Allen absorb seniority over Grier however all three unruffled absorb their hat within the ring.
— Jelani Scott
New York Giants 32, Chicago Bears 13
3. Matt Nagy played it ultra-safe Friday night, sitting almost every Bears starter on offense and defense. Of us that grew to modified into in to NFL Community skilled a heavy dose of Chase Daniel, a trip of James Vaughters (a strip sack), a spark of Clifton Duck (an acrobatic INT) and, closing however no longer least, Spherical 2 of the Enormous Chicago Kicker Conflict of 2019. The brink after Friday night goes to Eddy Pineiro, who hit his two discipline targets (41, 27) whereas Elliott Fry missed his lone FG strive (47) and hit one additional level. This one’s going down to the wire, folks.
4. Particular, it came in opposition to Chicago’s second-crew offensive line, however New York got excellent interior and edge force on Daniel within the first half on Friday. Many of the action came from Mountainous Blue’s young nucleus; Dalvin Tomlinson, Oshane Ximines and Olsen Pierre all tallied TFLs, the latter two earning sacks. Lorenzo Carter modified into a order for Chicago off the sting, as nicely. With the entire attention this summer fastened on New York’s young quarterback, the Giants’ defensive childhood should now not lumber unrecognized.
— Jeremy Bergman
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16, Miami Dolphins 14
5. Also can Preston Williams replicate his prominent highlight-reel day out from closing week? Now now not precisely. The Dolphins rookie adopted up his breakout debut with a tumble-heavy downer, catching correct one Josh Rosen cross on six targets for seven yards. Miami got Williams extra concerned within the offense, however the receiver couldn’t train. He came shut to executing a 31-yard circus TD grab, however Williams stepped out of bounds earlier than coming down with the accumulate. Miami’s extra impressive standouts came in Brian Flores’ front seven. Third-three hundred and sixty five days DE Charles Harris tallied four QB hits and 1.5 sacks, whereas rookie LB Sam Eguavoen lived within the backfield, forcing a fumble and making two tackles for loss.
6. Tampa Bay’s first-crew offense didn’t showcase indispensable — Jameis Winston played one pressure with initiating backs Peyton Barber and Ronald Jones. No person stood out on that aspect of the ball, place Dare Ogunbowale, the backup tailback who racked up 88 total yards on 16 touches, basically within the second half. The Buccaneers’ front seven enjoyed a extra productive night in Miami’s backfield. Todd Bowles’ defense tagged Rosen and Ryan Fitzpatrick for four sacks and eight QB hits. Linebackers Shaquil Barrett and Devante Bond every tallied QB takedowns, and former Kevin Minter blew up one play within the backfield. Real signal for a unit that misplaced Kwon Alexander within the offseason.
— Jeremy Bergman