Here is what we beget now realized thus a ways from Sunday’s Week 12 video games:
New England 13, Dallas Cowboys 9
1. “The energy of our crew is our defense and particular teams,” Tom Brady stated closing week. His Patriots crew emphatically underscored that time Sunday. A New England blocked punt within the significant quarter build up the game’s handiest touchdown, and the Pats particular teams ran circles around Jason Garrett’s squad. One of the best defense within the NFL as soon as extra suffocated its opponent. Stephon Gilmore totally worn out Amari Cooper, holding the smartly-known person receiver to zero catches on two targets with an INT. A diving Cooper couldn’t hold onto a 4th-and-11 omit the heart that genuinely ended the tilt. The Cowboys came in averaging 444.6 yards, tops within the NFL. New England held Dak Prescott & Co. to 321 whole yards, a piddling 2-of-13 on third downs, and held Dallas to three measly field objectives. Prescott, who attach on gloves midway thru the soaked tilt, performed honest appropriate 19 of 33 passes for 212 yards, 6.4 yards per strive, no TDs and an INT. The Pats didn’t sack the QB nonetheless received ample tension to retain the Cowboys offense off-kilter all day. Once extra, Invoice Belichick’s squad gained a sloppy tilt by mentally beating an opponent into submission.
2. Brady’s frustration with the Pats offense likely gained’t recede after one other lackluster day time out by which he performed honest appropriate forty five.9 p.c of 37 attempts for 190 yards with a TD. The Pats, without Mohamed Sanu or Phillip Dorsett, struggled to pass the ball consistently. Rookie receiver N’Keal Harry did beget an extraordinarily good abet-shoulder TD, and fellow first-year WR Jakobi Meyers (4/74) caught some key first downs, nonetheless the children’ impart remains a piece in progress. The Patriots’ three scoring drives all took income of Cowboys miscues: The TD force went honest appropriate 12 yards after a blocked punt; a field aim came after honest appropriate three yards had been gained following an INT; the final FG came on a 38-yard force after the Pats received favorable field build following sad Cowboys punt-crew execution. No topic the inconsistency, Brady’s unit did barely ample to receive an grotesque W.
3. Jason Garrett as soon as extra received badly out-coached. One of the best quiz Garrett will settle on to answer to is the resolution to kick a chip-shot field aim with 6:08 left on 4th-and-7 deep in Patriots territory trailing by seven aspects. Predictably, the Cowboys never received closer to scoring again. The loss dips the Cowboys to 6-5 on the season. Where a pick can also beget attach a stranglehold on the NFC East after the Eagles misplaced earlier within the day, the defeat retains Dallas with honest appropriate a one-recreation lead coming into the stretch dart. With the Eagles owning a phenomenal more straightforward time table the leisure of the skill, the Cowboys restful sit down in a precarious spot. The Pats, within the period in-between, moved to 10-1 to dwell atop the AFC with yet one other first-round bye all nonetheless cinched.
— Kevin Patra
New Orleans Saints 34, Carolina Panthers 31
1. Will Lutz nailed a 33-yard field aim with time expiring as the Saints fended off a wild Panthers comeback repeat. New Orleans jumped out to a instant delivery, earning a 14-0 lead in a first-quarter that Drew Brees and Co. dominated, generating 9 first downs on 19 plays to drag out of the gate. Brees, who tossed for 311 yards and three TDs with an INT on the day, used to be masterful on the game-a success force after New Orleans received the ball abet gradual following a Panthers missed field aim. The QB hit mature genuine Michael Thomas for a 24-yard hold on the sideline on third-and-6, Alvin Kamara took a veil pass for 16 yards and ran for 9 to position up the chip-shot winner. Thomas as soon as extra stuffed the stat sheet, picking up 10 receptions (104 on the season) for yet one other 100-yard recreation (101) with a TD. No secure used to be bigger than his gradual-recreation capture. After letting the Panthers receive abet into the game after a pair of double-digit leads, Brees as soon as extra proved he’s a guru within the two-minute drill.
2. Joey Slye will be kicking himself all week. The Carolina kicker missed two extra aspects and a attainable lunge-ahead 28-yard field aim with two minutes left. The botched boots ruined a undeniable day for QB Kyle Allen, who bounced abet from several disastrous performances to throw three TDs and commit no turnovers. Receiver D.J. Moore used to be a beast all recreation, taking income of a Saints defense without smartly-known person nook Marshon Lattimore. Moore tortured New Orleans’ secondary all day deep and after the secure, generating two 50-plus yard catches and scored twice. Christian McCaffrey used to be stymied on the bottom — 2.9 yards per strive on 22 carries, with a TD — nonetheless used to be Allen’s security blanket out of the backfield, catching all 9 of his targets for 69 yards and a ranking. The certain offensive performances all went for naught for Carolina after Slye’s misses.
In response to the @NextGenStats field aim likelihood mannequin, Joey Slye’s 28-yard field aim strive with 2:00 final within the fourth quarter had 93.5 pct likelihood of being made.It had the best field aim likelihood of any missed FG this season.#CARvsNOï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ NFL Be taught (@NFLResearch)
November 24, 2019
3. Saints fans nearly blew a gasket after a non-pass interference name used to be challenged by Panthers coach Ron Rivera and used to be overturned, giving Carolina first-and-aim with 2:21 left. The Saints D, which had been overwhelmed up, stiffened, forcing the Slye missed field aim, and perchance avoiding a revolt. The pick can also point to gigantic for New Orleans’ quest for home-field advantage within the playoffs. Transferring to 9-2 on the season, Sean Payton’s squad holds a broad lead within the NFC South (the Panthers are 2nd at 5-6). With the Packers and 49ers facing off on Sunday evening, the Saints can also soar into first-round bye territory as we hit Thanksgiving.
— Kevin Patra
Cleveland Browns 41, Miami Dolphins 24
1. Jarvis Landry would no longer seem tackle the man who holds onto previous wrongdoings, nonetheless based off his play Sunday, he totally is that man. Smartly sooner than the 2019 season, Landry wasn’t jumpy to screech about how his time in Miami ended with atomize and then a shining exchange to Cleveland — a local thought to be to be a football wilderness at the time, with the Browns having come off an 0-16 season — and how he felt in regards to the emotional pass. He took out all of that anger on the lowly Dolphins on Sunday, catching 10 passes for 148 yards and two touchdowns and making every hold in demonstrative fashion, letting his opponents know he hasn’t forgotten who sent him to Cleveland “to d*e.”
Thanks to their connection, Baker Mayfield had one of his most efficient outings of 2019, finishing 24 of 34 passes for 327 yards, three touchdowns, one interception (thrown at the abet of Odell Beckham Jr.) and a passer ranking of 118.1. He even ended his touchdown drought with Beckham, throwing a 35-yard touchdown to the wideout within the significant half as segment of a 28-point output within the significant two quarters.
The Browns’ pick on “TNF” wasn’t honest appropriate-attempting, and Sunday used to be more straightforward to see, nonetheless they both depend the equivalent. Cleveland (5-6) has now gained three straight and is abet within the dialogue for the wild-card straggle thanks in segment to Oakland’s loss Sunday and one other assembly with the 6-5 Steelers up subsequent week. They’re gradually bettering and a success video games they’re purported to make a choice, though the highway to the postseason remains to be an uphill fight.
2. For the time being, the Browns restful settle on to nick down on the penalties. They committed seven for 70 yards Sunday and will must beget had at the least just a few extra added to that tally had Miami popular them, had been twice nailed for unlawful man downfield violations in consequence of indecision on dart-pass choices, and additionally committed their league-main 17th deepest dangerous of the season.
That dangerous used to be unfamiliar. The penalty used to be called in opposition to Damarious Randall, nonetheless would possibly perchance want been supposed for Mack Wilson on what would beget been a third-down discontinue within the third quarter. It gave Miami a contemporary build of downs and lastly ample life to ranking a touchdown, slicing the deficit to 11.
These mistakes will enable an even bigger crew to total a comeback and sink the Browns’ slim postseason hopes. They’ve nick down on turnovers in contemporary weeks, keep for Mayfield’s interception Sunday, nonetheless the penalties continue to be an subject.
3. We all know the Dolphins’ objectives are no longer in actuality about this season, nonetheless they particular beget no longer abet themselves in winnable scenarios. On a third-and-lengthy subject within the significant quarter, Mayfield checked all the manner down to Landry on a plod that can perchance beget long previous for no longer up to five yards if performed, nonetheless an avoidable defensive pass interference as a replacement gave the Browns a contemporary build of downs. They ended up scoring a touchdown on the force. And later, Miami used to be stopped in its get territory and ran a pretend punt on fourth-and-lengthy while trailing by 14. They had been predictably stopped by one of many league’s better particular teams devices and gave Cleveland immense field build, which the Browns modified into into Landry’s 2nd touchdown of the half. Lastly, a deepest dangerous for hitting a defenseless receiver above the shoulders erased Jerome Baker’s crimson-zone interception, and the Browns scored two plays later.
Credit ranking is in consequence of the efforts of Brian Flores’ crew, which kept struggling with at the abet of its bearded, on-field leader who additionally took space to be the birthday boy Sunday. Ryan Fitzpatrick tried his hardest to manual the Dolphins to a comeback pick, tossing a touchdown to rookie tight discontinue Mike Gesicki and running one in himself, nonetheless it absolutely wasn’t ample. No longer without delay, their self-inflicted wounds allowed the Browns to dart away with the victory.
There is a success football, there’s shedding football and there would possibly be stepping into your get skill of a raffle of victory. The Dolphins (2-9) did extra of the latter on Sunday.
— Slice Shook
Buffalo Bills 20, Denver Broncos 3
1. A push to the playoffs is in elephantine force in Buffalo and the Bills defense is main the skill. Though infrequently opposed by an spectacular offense, the Bills dominated honest appropriate the equivalent, holding the Broncos to a minuscule 134 yards and no touchdowns in a one-sided 20-3 victory. Because the Bills (8-3) kept tempo with the Patriots within the AFC East and with the AFC field for a postseason spot, they did so by fully confounding a hapless Denver offense. Gigantic afternoons had been had by many much like Tre’Davious White (fourth interception of the season, four passes defended), Shaq Lawson (two sacks) and Matt Milano (six tackles, three passes defended) in opposition to the Broncos (3-8). Offense used to be scarce, nonetheless factual defense used to be abundant. Buffalo’s offense is bettering, nonetheless the Bills defense continues to stand gigantic and that’s the rationale before every part why a playoff spot can also correctly be ahead.
2. On the equivalent day by which Frank Gore ran previous Barry Sanders for third on the all-time dashing list, Bills rookie Devin Singletary carried himself tackle a running abet poised to shine within the kill. In opposition to a staunch Broncos defense, Singletary produced his finest recreation thus a ways with season-highs (and in consequence of this truth profession-highs) of 21 carries for 106 yards. It used to be a workhorse-form recreation as Singletary had a lengthy of 11 yards. Josh Allen added 56 yards on the bottom (along with 185 and a pair of touchdowns thru the air) and the aforementioned future Hall of Famer named Gore chipped in with 65 yards. The dashing recreation of the Bills used to be 244 yards grand on Sunday, nonetheless Singletary led the skill — honest appropriate as the Bills are hoping he’ll for Sundays to come.
3. Forward of Sunday, the Broncos had the twenty seventh-ranked scoring offense with 17.2 aspects per recreation. They didn’t stay up to the hype. With the offenses as cold as the temperature, the Bills clung to a 6-0 halftime lead, nonetheless they had 222 yards to the Broncos’ 94. There used to be promise and it came to fruition within the 2nd half. Denver never came upon such fortune or the discontinue zone. Most most likely the offense’s perfect intellectual spot this season has been Courtland Sutton, nonetheless he used to be held to 1 secure for 27 yards (which snapped a drag of eight straight video games with 50-or-extra receiving yards that used to be third-most efficient within the NFL). The Broncos offense has struggled all season lengthy, nonetheless Week 12 used to be a low point. Reward must most absolutely lunge to the Bills, nonetheless the questions of how to breathe life into the Broncos offense will continue till offseason changes end result in unusual hope.
— Grant Gordon
Tennessee Titans 42, Jacksonville Jaguars 20
1. Thursday evening gave us a itsy-bitsy little bit of separation atop the AFC South with Houston’s pick over Indianapolis, and Sunday introduced a reminder that the Tennessee Titans (6-5) are no longer going any place honest appropriate yet, both. Tennessee modified into a stop recreation on its head within the third quarter, putting up 28 aspects to blow delivery the competition with the division-rival Jaguars. They did it in a unfold of systems, first opening up the fun segment of the playbook (nonetheless small it will be) by running a halfback pass, with Derrick Henry focusing on Jonnu Smith within the discontinue zone. That pass fell incomplete nonetheless drew a pass interference, environment the Titans up on the Jacksonville 1. That’s when they gave a broad fella some bask in, with quarterback Ryan Tannehill tossing a touchdown pass to swing tackle Dennis Kelly.
Henry asserted Tennessee’s would in actuality like to dominate on the Titans’ ensuing possession, rumbling 74 yards for a ranking. Then the Titans forced a turnover and scored again, and so they restful weren’t completed, restful a 65-yard touchdown pass from Tannehill to A.J. Brown a ways off from finishing their scoring for the quarter. By the time they hit the fourth, they had a 35-11 lead.
“If they are able to also honest bottle that third quarter, they will be a playoff crew,” CBS play-by-play broadcaster Ian Eagle stated at the conclusion of the game.
He is factual, and it begins with Tannehill, who’s playing just a few of essentially the most efficient football of his profession (four whole touchdowns Sunday). Tennessee is 4-1 with him as the starter, and after getting its first division pick of the year, all indicators are pointing in direction of extra success.
2. It’s nearly December, which implies or no longer it’s Derrick Henry season. The bulldozing running abet nicknamed “Tractorcito” ripped off his 2nd 74-plus-yard touchdown dart in Nashville in opposition to Jacksonville in as many seasons Sunday, the most contemporary signal that we’re headed in direction of his most efficient time of the year: cold weather.
Have in thoughts this: Since 2017, Henry has racked up 1,493 yards in video games performed on Nov. 10 or later, averaging 5.74 yards per raise in that stretch. He is scored 16 touchdowns on the bottom in that identical span of time, and this season — thanks in segment to his performance Sunday — he’s at his most efficient tempo yet, averaging 8.26 yards in his closing two contests.
In years previous, it used to be maddening to see the Titans retain a ways off from handing Henry the ball till it used to be stop to too gradual within the marketing campaign. It’s invigorating to gaze what can also honest be Mike Vrabel’s staff discovering out from the mistakes of its get staff and its predecessors.
3. Sunday reminded at the least one person (this creator) too phenomenal of closing week’s loss for Jacksonville (4-7), by which the Jaguars performed competitive football for a half, came out of the ruin gradual, fell precise into a deep hole and wakened too gradual to beget a sound likelihood at a comeback. The offense led by Slice Foles used to be again disjointed and unproductive bigger than the leisure, inviting questions much like: Is Chris Conley a receiver whom the Jaguars would in actuality like to target on one-on-one streaks down the sideline? He didn’t appear geared up to receive a play in one of these subject Sunday.
There used to be a itsy-bitsy little bit of encouragement: Doug Marrone’s offense didn’t speed a ways off from handing the ball to Leonard Fournette as if he had the plague tackle it did closing week. But within the kill it again wasn’t ample, and as mistakes snowballed, they confronted a climb too steep to receive. The chippiness gradual handiest illustrated Jacksonville’s contemporary frustration. It looks as if the 2019 Jaguars are getting stop to accepting their fate, even with some (i.e., Yannick Ngakoue) playing inspired football.
— Slice Shook
New York Jets 34, Oakland Raiders 3
1. Sam Darnold has been dealing the closing two weeks — 5-1 TD-INT ratio, 112.0 passer ranking, 261.5 pass YPG — albeit in opposition to teams with a combined 3-17 file (coming into Week 12). The quiz surrounding Darnold coming into this recreation used to be how would he fare facing an improved Raiders defense that had forced seven turnovers over their closing three outings. He wasted itsy-bitsy time answering that quiz with an spectacular 315 yards (20-of-29), three TDs (one chase) and zero turnovers in a 34-3 pick. In response to NFL Be taught, New York’s three-recreation drag of scoring 34 or extra aspects is its third such drag in franchise historical previous, and its first since 2008. Darnold has been guilty for eight ratings all the design thru that stretch. Third-down conversions, among other things, beget been the Jets’ Achilles’ heel in 2019 as they’ve had the bottom conversion price within the NFL. They went 5-of-12 in those scenarios in opposition to a Raiders D that ranked tenth in third-down conversion percentage. Darnold additionally accounted for 15 of the Jets’ 21 first downs and took honest appropriate one sack, the fewest he’s taken since Week 7. Darnold’s reference to receiver Robby Anderson (4/86/1) used to be revitalized after just a few down weeks while RB Le’Veon Bell attributed 109 scrimmage yards (59 chase, 49 receiving). Darnold’s perfect play went to WR Braxton Berrios (endure in thoughts him?) who burned Oakland on a 69-yard secure-and-dart that build-up a one-yard Darnold TD pass to no longer too lengthy ago extended TE Ryan Griffin. Coach Adam Gase has a lot to be overjoyed with after this one.
2. How a pair of round of applause for Jamal Adams (0.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, 7 whole tackles) and the Jets defense, huh? Minus the forty eight-yard Daniel Carlson FG that opened the game, the Jets (4-7) forced punts on seven of the Raiders’ 12 ensuing drives, tallied five passes defensed and created gigantic turnovers on two consecutive drives within the third. On fourth-and-2 from the OAK 39, security Marcus Maye used to be in first to discontinue FB Alec Ingold on a raise for no hold; N.Y. scored a TD on the following force. Things would receive worse from there on Oakland’s subsequent force when Derek Carr’s strive to soar-delivery some momentum used to be stalled on a pass supposed for WR Tyrell Williams. Jets LB Neville Hewitt used to be all the design thru Williams in coverage with a success as the ball came in that popped it into the air and into the fingers of CB Brian Poole, who returned it for a 15-yard TD. Since Week 5, the Jets’ dart defense has been one of many NFL’s most efficient, and so they proved as phenomenal in opposition to rookie Josh Jacobs who rushed for 10 carries and a season-low 34 yards. To build into perspective how immense that is, Jacobs’ 92.3 chase YPG is basically the most by a Raiders RB since Marcus Allen in 1985. Secure one for Jets DC Gregg Williams.
3. A Jets defensive TD ballooned the lead to 31, and effectively ended Carr’s day as he used to be modified soon after by Mike Glennon. Till he used to be yanked with 1:49 left within the third, Carr used to be within the midst of one of his least productive video games of 2019, finishing 15 of his 27 attempts for 127 yards, zero TDs and a secure. The receiving corps additionally couldn’t receive phenomenal of the leisure going; crew leader TE Darren Waller used to be held to three catches (six targets) for 41 yards while RB Jalen Richard led the crew with 47 receiving yards. Williams and Hunter Renfrow combined for five catches and 49 yards. Week 12 used to be additionally the significant recreation of Carr’s profession the build he had fewer than 150 yards, no TDs and at the least one INT, per NFL Be taught. Jon Gruden’s playoff objectives took a success with this rotten loss, and now the Raiders (6-5) are in actuality on the ropes heading precise into a extraordinarily well-known Week 13 showdown versus the Chiefs on the highway.
— Jelani Scott
Seattle Seahawks 17, Philadelphia Eagles 9
1. On a blustery day in Philadelphia when Russell Wilson didn’t always gape tackle his MVP self and Tyler Lockett used to be held in check, the Seahawks modified into to a phenomenal-maligned inclined first-round secure to provide the juice: Rashaad Penny. The 2018 first-rounder without misfortune had essentially the most efficient recreation of his profession, exhibiting energy and balance all the design thru the day to withhold Seattle to victory. Penny ripped off three runs of 20-plus yards, collectively with a 58-yard home name within the fourth quarter to give Seattle a 14-point lead. Penny completed with 129 yards on handiest 14 carries, without misfortune outpacing backfield mate Chris Carson (eight carries for 26 yards). It wasn’t a splendid day on offense, Wilson used to be sacked six cases, D.Ample. Metcalf dropped a would-be touchdown and Carson struggled with ball security. Those are components that can must be addressed, nonetheless if Penny can attach collectively extra outings tackle this one, the Seahawks (9-2) will be even extra grand to defend.
2. The Seahawks’ defensive position restful used to be a distinction maker no topic missing Jadeveon Clowney, who used to be idle with hip, knee and core muscle components. It’s most likely you’ll perchance no longer beget guessed Seattle used to be short a dominant defender, nonetheless, given the tension the front seven attach on Wentz all the design thru the day. The Seahawks had three sacks and a forced fumble within the significant half with Ezekiel Ansah supplying phenomenal of the injury. Ansah without misfortune had his most efficient exhibiting as a Seahawk with 1.5 takedowns (he additionally had a strip sack negated by a penalty), and the inner defenders led by Poona Ford largely held the bottom recreation in check. On a day when the offense wasn’t exactly clicking in opposition to a broad Eagles front, the defense came thru and showed why Seattle will be a tricky out come January.
3. If the Eagles (5-6) miss the playoffs, folks can expose these abet-to-abet losses that doomed the season. Philadelphia misplaced a pair of winnable video games at home to two of essentially the most efficient teams within the NFL on days when the defense posted an effort that can must beget equaled victory. But as used to be the case in opposition to the Patriots, Carson Wentz struggled to secure his supporting solid. Granted, Wentz used to be quarterbacking a unit besieged by injury (Alshon Jeffery, Nelson Agholor, Jordan Howard and Lane Johnson had been idle), nonetheless Wentz (33-of-forty five for 256 yards) used to be many cases off on a windy day and struggled with ball security (two interceptions and two misplaced fumbles). Some of that will be attributed to the dearth of skill-build avid gamers (Greg Ward, signed off the apply squad this week, completed third in targets after TEs Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert), nonetheless Wentz struggled throwing the ball down field (5.7 YPA) and making sound choices under duress. A garbage-time touchdown ended a drag of twenty-two straight drives that did no longer generate a TD. If the Eagles are to rebound, fixing the offense needs to be Doug Pederson’s high priority.
— David Ely
Pittsburgh Steelers 16, Cincinnati Bengals 10
1. For a 2nd there, it regarded tackle Cincinnati would possibly perchance pick its first recreation this season. But then the Steelers made a alternate at quarterback. Mason Rudolph persisted to fight after a disastrous Week 11 loss to the Browns. After getting sacked on the significant play within the third quarter, Pittsburgh decided that it had considered ample. The Steelers benched Rudolph (8-of-16, 85 yards, 1 INT) in prefer of Devlin “Duck” Hodges. About a plays later, he hit wideout James Washington for a seventy 9-yard touchdown and the Steelers at closing scored their first touchdown of the game. Hodges completed the day 5-of-11 for 118 yards, one touchdown and a 115.0 ranking. Hodges has now led Pittsburgh to two wins on the highway in as many tries as the Steelers (6-5) continue to fight for an AFC wild-card spot. Will the Steelers lunge with him for the leisure of the season? After the game coach Mike Tomlin stated he felt tackle the offense honest appropriate wanted a spark and “Mason wasn’t doing ample.” He wouldn’t share his thoughts yet on who will be starting at QB subsequent week.
2. The Steelers defense came to play, again. In response to the crew, it has registered at the least one sack in 52 consecutive video games, which is the longest lively drag within the NFL, after linebacker T.J. Watt recorded a sack within the significant quarter. A promising force within the fourth quarter for the Bengals ended with linebacker Devin Bush forcing a fumble on a 22-yard secure by Tyler Boyd that Minkah Fitzpatrick recovered and returned for 36 yards. One other broad play came when Bud Dupree strip-sacked Ryan Finley and recovered the fumble to seal the game.
3. After being upset over the dearth of targets in opposition to the Raiders closing week (one secure for zero yards), Tyler Boyd received his wish and received the ball extra. Finley’s longest pass of the day used to be when he hit a deep pass up the heart to Boyd for 47 yards, which by the skill Boyd caught with ONE HAND! Then Finley connected with Boyd on the following play for a 15-yard touchdown. Boyd completed with five receptions on 9 targets for 101 yards and one TD. Lesson of the day for the Bengals (0-11): Discover the ball to Tyler Boyd.
— Lakisha Wesseling
Chicago Bears 19, New York Giants 14
1. The Bears staved off a gradual Giants rally to desire the pick at home and pass to 5-6 on the season. But the marketing campaign started slowly for both teams. For the fifth consecutive recreation, the Bears had been scoreless within the significant quarter and it wasn’t till a 2nd-quarter field aim by Eddy Pineiro that the Bears at closing received on the board after trading punts with Gigantic Blue. Forward of the Week 12 tilt, questions surrounded Mitchell Trubisky’s recreation spot and future with Chicago after the quarterback suffered a hip pointer injury in closing week’s recreation. Trubisky, determined to play thru the inconvenience, suited up within the hopes of main his struggling squad to a phenomenal-wanted pick. On a pair occasions Trubisky used to be uninteresting to receive up, limping and in visible inconvenience, nonetheless within the kill remained within the game. His lone touchdown pass came on an early third-quarter toss to Allen Robinson (six receptions, 131 yards). Robinson’s broad recreation marked his first 100-yard recreation this season, and the 11th of his profession. Trubisky completed the day throwing 25 completions for 278 yards with two interceptions and one dashing TD. The Bears’ dart recreation used to be as soon as extra stagnant, putting up a pathetic 65 whole dashing yards on 26 carries. Absolutely, coach Matt Nagy will be fielding inquiries about his puzzling offense again this week as the Bears continue to underwhelm.
2. Love the Bears, the Giants offense continues to fight week after week nonetheless showed flashes of enchancment on Sunday. Daniel Jones (21-of-36 for 150 yards) had a pair of touchdown passes to Golden Tate and Kaden Smith. Darius Slayton had one other broad recreation (four receptions on 67 yards), which is ready to be underscored by the Giants’ miscues. Tate’s TD within the fourth attach the Giants in build for a comeback pick as they trailed by five. But on New York’s closing force of the game, Jones sealed his crew’s fate throwing a trio of incomplete passes and turning the ball over on downs. Saquon Barkley toted the ball 17 cases for 59 yards, averaging 3.5 yards per raise. Barkley has struggled to come by his inclined self since facing a high-ankle sprain earlier this season, nonetheless within the abet’s defense, he used to be facing Khalil Mack and a stingy Bears D. Most most likely Barkley can receive abet no longer off direction within the five final video games of the 2019 season.
3. The Bears defense kept its drag alive by no longer allowing its opponent to ranking a gap-force TD for the Twenty first consecutive recreation. Sunday marked a breakout recreation for the sack king Mack, whose strip-sack within the third quarter helped build up the Bears for a extraordinarily well-known TD. Mack’s sack used to be honest appropriate his 2nd in seven video games — which looks insane. The three-time All Pro has 17 third-quarter and 34.5 2nd-half sacks since 2015. The defense, which has battled its get woes in contemporary weeks, clearly came up broad for the struggling Bears offense. With a Thanksgiving matchup in opposition to the rival Lions on Thursday, almost certainly the pick will boost the Bears’ spirits for the leisure of the marketing campaign.
— Andie Hagemann
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 35, Atlanta Falcons 22
1. A telling graphic flashed honest appropriate sooner than Tampa Bay’s first snap accurately prepped viewers for the form of recreation this would be in opposition to the Falcons (3-8). Coming into Week 12, Jameis Winston had 300-plus passing yards in five straight video games — 1-4 file — nonetheless contributed 17 turnovers all the design thru that stretch. On his first dropback of the afternoon, Winston threw an interception to CB Desmond Trufant on a deep ball supposed for Mike Evans. And then, in ethical head-spinning, “Jameis Expertise” fashion, he led a five-play, 97-yard TD force, capped off by a significant 71-yard secure-and-dart ranking from WR Chris Godwin. Winston then threw an INT on the Bucs’ third force on a wonky, soar pass that went at the abet of RB Dare Ogunbowale and ended up in LB De’Vondre Campbell’s fingers. I point out, he in actuality outdid himself on this one. In all, the Buccaneers (4-7) completed with over 400 whole yards for the sixth time, and Winston concluded with 313 yards (18-of-28), three first-half TDs and the two INTs that made him the league leader (21). The majority of this point will be dedicated to Winston nonetheless Godwin in actuality deserves massive recognition for his two TDs and profession-high 184 yards on seven catches; he’s been absurd all year. His 2nd ranking came on a tricky, one-handed snag from a yard out that must’ve potentially been dropped given how Falcons CB Kendall Sheffield mauled him as he tried to bring it in. Oh, and how about this for one closing Winston stat? His third TD came on a 1-yard pass to none rather than DT Vita Vea because why no longer? Man, this used to be essentially the most Winston recreation of any Winston recreation he’s ever had. Mute, Bucs coach Bruce Arians will desire it as the pick that kept their playoff hopes alive (barely) and snapped a five-recreation shedding drag to their division rival.
2. Pondering that Winston and Matt Ryan had been fourth and fifth, respectively, in pass YPG and are tied for essentially the most 300-plus yard passing video games with seven, this recreation used to be build up to be a slobberknocker. It used to be no longer. Ryan (23-of-46, 271 yards, INT) used to be merely lower than par, registering his lowest completion percentage (50.0) of 2019 and a season-high six sacks (14 QB hits). One in every of those sacks modified into precise into a six-yard Ndamukong Suh scoop-and-ranking after a strip by Jason Pierre-Paul gradual within the fourth when the game used to be genuinely out of attain. Any QB within the league has the chance at a factual day with Julio Jones on the sector nonetheless, even with the receiver’s temporary injury fright, this used to be one other low-key Jones exhibiting; he had five catches (9 targets) for 68 yards and completed with no TD for the eighth straight recreation. Props to Bucs CB Carlton Davis (five PDs, five tackles, INT) for his above-moderate coverage in opposition to Jones in his 2nd recreation abet from injury. Jones’ 121.1 rec YPG versus Tampa is basically the most by any WR in opposition to an opponent within the Trim Bowl generation, per NFL Be taught nonetheless Tampa’s D used to be hellbent on combating a breakout recreation. The Falcons’ dart recreation used to be M.I.A. in its 2nd week without Devonta Freeman (19/57/1); Pierre-Paul, Suh, Vea and linebackers Devin White (2.0 sacks, eight whole tackles) and Shaquil Barrett (sack, five QB hits, FF) had been all instrumental in those efforts.
3. After a dominant two-week dart, the Falcons defense came abet to earth within the loss. Atlanta allowed 6.0 PPG and 64.5 chase YPG and totaled 11 sacks in Weeks 10 and 11 (both wins vs. NO, CAR). In opposition to an inconsistent Bucs offense, they allowed over 30 aspects for the significant time since Week 7, and 133 dashing yards, essentially the most since Week 8. Defensive tackle Grady Jarrett and LB Vic Beasley couldn’t receive to Winston, who completed with no sack for the significant time in 2019. Tampa’s 446 whole yards had been additionally essentially the most Atlanta’s given up since Week 5 (vs. HOU). The D did leave with two INTs and five PDs nonetheless this used to be an L the Falcons and Dan Quinn in actuality couldn’t beget the funds for.
— Jelani Scott
Washington Redskins 19, Detroit Lions 16
1. Because the Lions and Redskins gathered collectively at FedEx Subject with empty seats scattered about within the background and a combined seven straight losses, it used to be Washington that came away with what used to be likely essentially the most efficient end result the franchise can also beget hoped to achieve. Rookie first-round quarterback Dwayne Haskins, pleasure beaming, drove the Redskins down the sector and Dustin Hopkins completed his splendid day with a 39-yard recreation-a success field that sent Washington to a 19-16 overcome Detroit. Haskins (13-of-29 for 156 yards, no touchdowns, an interception and 47.5 ranking) infrequently regarded factual, nonetheless he notched his first pick as an NFL starter. Rookie wideout Terry McLaurin (five catches for 72 yards), lengthy considered as the brightest veil on this forgettable season, had his most efficient recreation since Week 6. Undrafted rookie returner Steven Sims Jr. had a 91-yard kickoff for a ranking. Rookie linebacker Cole Holcomb had a recreation-high 13 tackles. There used to be a itsy-bitsy little bit of promise to be had when all used to be stated and completed and that’s the rationale been the rarest of currencies for the Redskins (2-9). Haskins, who came away with an injured wrist nonetheless stated he used to be honest appropriate-attempting, started the game with a fumble on the significant force and ended it nowhere to be came upon as Case Keenum took the final knee. Intervening time coach Invoice Callahan suggested the media after the game that they merely couldn’t salvage the pleased Haskins. “We had been attempting for him, too,” Callahan grinned. “I mediate he thought the game used to be over.” There used to be motive to smile for the Redskins for honest appropriate a 2nd time in a ridiculously attempting marketing campaign. And, with the total quiz marks that lay ahead for the franchise, it will likely be folly to bellow clarity used to be had in barely appropriate one recreation all the design thru a misplaced season. But on this Sunday, at the least a itsy-bitsy little bit of the solar appeared thru the darkish clouds.
2. There used to be phenomenal ado about whether cornerback Josh Norman would play on Sunday or be a healthy scratch. Norman ended up being lively, nonetheless it absolutely used to be cornerback Fabian Moreau who equipped the secondary presence wanted. As Lions quarterback Jeff Driskel ventured to the island of Moreau, the Redskins DB came away with two interceptions, collectively with the game-clinching secure on the Lions’ closing gasp of a force. The third-year cornerback modified into in a stellar day and his first two interceptions of the season as Washington busted loose from a four-recreation skid.
3. Bo Scarbrough modified into in 98 yards on 18 carries. Taking half in in barely appropriate his 2nd recreation, Scarbrough has confirmed some promise. That’s about it with regards to Lions (3-7-1) highlights, as they misplaced for the fourth consecutive recreation and for the seventh time over eight video games after a 2-0-1 delivery that teased promise and has come to this. Driskel ran for his life and used to be sacked six cases and threw three interceptions nonetheless discuss will mission as to whether Matthew Stafford must be shut down for the season. The Lions had been a darkish horse to contend for the playoffs and after the significant month regarded tackle they are able to also honest surprise some folks. There are no surprises left to be had on this season for Detroit, it will seem. No no longer up to no longer any pleasurable ones.
— Grant Gordon