That is what we have realized from Sunday’s Week 9 games:
Seattle Seahawks 40, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 34 (OT)
1. This game had some of the entire lot — mammoth defensive performs, clutch touchdowns, expensive missed FGs — but, in the quit, it was as soon as Russell Wilson (29-of-43, 378 yards, 5 TDs) notching his fourth game-worthwhile pressure this season, and the Twenty seventh of his profession. After kicker Jason Myers’ missed 40-yard FG sent the 34-all game to OT, Wilson went to work, finishing four of his eight makes an are trying for 70 yards, including a 29-yard beauty to rookie D.Ok. Metcalf to catch to the Tampa Bay 6. After Chris Carson was as soon as forced relieve four yards on the 16th raise of his busy day, Wilson came across tight quit Jacob Hollister on a 10-yard cross to give Seattle a dramatic 40-34 protect shut. Hollister (4/37/2) and Metcalf (6/123/1), who had the spotlight of the day with a 53-yard TD protect, had been unbelievable by technique of the air and Carson (16/105) was as soon as the identical on the ground but we would be remiss if we didn’t repeat the undeniable connection between Wilson and wide receiver Tyler Lockett. The archaic was as soon as two yards unnerved of surroundings a brand unusual season-excessive but he place on an absolute repeat with 13 receptions for 152 yards and two TDs. The newly-received Josh Gordon will rapidly be half of the ranks, giving Wilson but any other deadly map, but the chemistry between the lengthy-time teammates, as smartly because the rising bond with Wilson and Metcalf, can also aloof aloof be sufficient to retain Seattle’s offense rolling for the remaining of 2019.
2. Or no longer it’s laborious to pinpoint exactly what it’s a long way but there could be factual one thing about taking half in on the avenue that ignites this Buccaneers offense. Coming into Week 9, Tampa was as soon as tied for the 13th most aspects per game (24.0) in the NFL in games conducted at dwelling; on the avenue, the Bucs moderate 29.6, merely sufficient for fourth-most. Their 2-6 story signifies a crew out of the hunt, but the crew has had some aggressive games, and this one was as soon as but any other addition to the catalog. Powerful love how this game had some of the entire lot, we had been over again handled to the fleshy Jameis Winston experience: one moment he’ll make a maddening throw or flip the ball over in a head-scratching vogue and the next he is making sweet tune with wide receiver Mike Evans (12/180/1) taking half in 2nd fiddle. Winston went 29-of-44 for 335 yards, two ratings and no picks; he even nearly outdueled Wilson in what can also lag down as surely one of essentially the most challenging games of the season. Tampa continues to slip additional down the NFC South but, while you happen to suspect about that this was as soon as their fifth one-ranking loss (four avenue games) of 2019, it makes you commence to surprise what could’ve been.
3. This game saw some spectacular all-round offense but both defenses made smartly timed performs in their personal correct, despite the 74 mixed aspects. For the Bucs, the cross-trudge was as soon as elite for some of the game, sacking Wilson thrice and hitting him a full 11 times. Rookie linebacker Devin White was as soon as a monster with season-excessive 12 mixed tackles, two QB hits and a pair of forced fumbles; fellow LB Lavonte David introduced the facility with eight mixed tackles and a Wilson sack for an absence of 14 yards. The Seahawks weren’t quite as a hit attending to Winston (two sacks, 3 QB hits) but stepped up when wanted; LB Mychal Kendricks’ forced fumble, moments after White’s 2nd FF was as soon as recovered to give Tampa unprejudiced self-discipline location, resulted in a 36-yard return from defensive quit Rasheem Inexperienced and a 22-yard Myers self-discipline map no longer lengthy after that to tie the game at 27 unhurried in the fourth.
— Jelani Scott
Oakland Raiders 31, Detroit Lions 24
1. For the first time since Week 2, the Oakland Coliseum conducted host to a Raiders game, and what a game it was as soon as. The Raiders and visiting Lions went for the fleshy 60 with their standing in their respective divisions on the line. In a contest where lead adjustments had been more frequent than punts, Oakland scored closing and made the closing stand. Following a four-punt replace of possession, the Lions tied the Raiders at 24 with a J.D. McKissic-heavy pressure. Oakland adopted by leaning on a cross-catching relieve of its personal: Jalen Richard. The longtime Raiders relieve touched the ball on four straight performs which totaled 68 yards and picked up three first downs. From the red zone with factual over two minutes left, Derek Carr (289 yards, 2 TDs) came across sure-handed rookie (and Raiders main receiver on the day) Hunter Renfrow in the quit zone for what could be the game-worthwhile ranking.
Now to no longer be outdone, Matthew Stafford (406 yards, 3 TDs, INT) stormed correct down the self-discipline helped by penalties and the scurry of Kenny Golladay (4 rec, 132 yards, TD). Nevertheless as soon as internal the 10-yard line, Detroit crumbled. Stafford scrambled for four yards, was as soon as sacked for 10 after which came across third-string tight quit Logan Thomas at some stage in the self-discipline. Bailed out by a Jon Gruden timeout with eight seconds left, the Lions had but but any other shot to tie from the OAK 1. Lions OC Darrell Bevell called a venerable-facet play-motion boot with the map of Stafford finding a leaking Thomas or Jesse James in the quit zone. Nevertheless below pressure on the boot, Stafford lobbed an off-steadiness prayer to Thomas in the relieve of the quit zone. Blanketed by Karl Joseph, Thomas couldn’t corral it, and the Lions’ closing shout fell to a whimper.
2. Josh Jacobs’ Offensive Rookie of the Year insist is deciding on up steam. While Gardner Minshew laid an egg in but any other country, Jacobs proved to be the backbone of Oakland’s victory over Detroit. Jacobs carried the ball for a profession-excessive 28 times for 120 yards and two ratings in the protect shut, extending the Raiders’ scoring drives and serving to Oakland protect shut the time of possession combat for the first half. A revelation by technique of eight games, Jacobs has already damaged the franchise’s rookie story for rushing yards in a season (740), passing the wide Marcus Allen in the formula. Carr is having an prominent season in his 2nd lag-round with Jon Gruden, but Oakland’s offense could be nothing without Jacobs, who is the figurehead of a stable rookie class in Mike Mayock’s first year as frequent supervisor. It was as soon as a credit score to all involved that Oakland came away with the protect shut without correct tackle Trent Brown who left with a knee harm and never returned. Harm aside, there could be motive to catch a great time in the East Bay: The Raiders (4-4) are correct in the thick of the wild-card trudge and 1.5 games in the relieve of Kansas City in the AFC West.
3. In a possession game love this one, which you would possibly also’t discover the money for to make essentially the most mistakes. Detroit was as soon as that facet on Sunday, committing two turnovers in its first four drives in a critical half that featured zero punts. Dynamic offensive performances from Golladay and Marvin Jones (8 rec, 126 yards, TD) went wasted by Stafford’s first-quarter fumble and his 2nd-quarter deep interception to an acrobatic Daryl Worley. Bevell’s play call on the map line at game’s quit can also aloof moreover count as a expensive blunder. The Lions made 5 trips internal Oakland’s 30-yard line and came away with 14 aspects. Detroit (3-4-1) wanted this protect shut to catch a leg up in the aggressive NFC North on a day when all three of its division competitors misplaced. As but any other, the Lions wasted alternatives on the self-discipline and off it.
— Jeremy Bergman
Denver Broncos 24, Cleveland Browns 19
1. With Joe Flacco on injured reserve, Brandon Allen’s Week 9 cameo will flip into a main feature for the foreseeable future, which begs the quiz, “How did he kind in his NFL debut?” Well, he did barely sufficient to location the Broncos (3-6) for a 24-19 protect shut and quit their two-game shedding high-tail. The 27-year-venerable Allen was as soon as surroundings pleasant on the day, finishing 12 of his 20 makes an are trying for 193 yards and two TDs and not using a turnovers and a 125.6 passer ranking. His pair of ratings came in spectacular vogue, due to the additional effort shown by Courtland Sutton on a 21-yard protect that could make Randy Moss proud and a 75-yard protect-and-flee TD from rookie Noah Fant but Allen deserves credit score for placing the ball where his guys could make a play. Sutton ended with 5 catches for 56 yards while Fant shook off the unhurried commence to his profession and added three catches for 115 yards in his most consuming showing of the year. Even RB Phillip Lindsay regarded love the explosive rookie we saw in 2018, rushing the ball nine times for 92 yards, including a season-most consuming 30-yard TD flee in the third. Sure, Denver went 3-of-9 on third down, Allen took three sacks and Lindsay’s ranking was as soon as the crew’s most consuming 2nd-half aspects but, for a minimal of this Sunday, the Broncos can revel in placing forth their most consuming repeat in weeks.
2. The plethora of offensive weapons has but to develop the plethora of victories many foresaw for the Browns, who fell to 2-6 after but any other close-and-lag afternoon. For the first time this season, Baker Mayfield (27-of-42, 273 yards, TD) evaded throwing an INT but aloof produced factual one TD in a game for the seventh time in his eight starts. The Browns punched in most consuming surely one of their 5 red zone trips and transformed six of their 15 third-down conversions. The O-line allowed Mayfield to take grasp of more than one sacks in a game (2) for the seventh time while RB Nick Chubb couldn’t discover gaps to burst by technique of and was as soon as held to 65 yards on 20 carries, his 2nd-lowest of ’19. In all likelihood essentially the most annoying performs came on the crew’s two failed fourth-down makes an are trying; Mayfield came up short on a flee on fourth-and-1 from the DEN 5 in the third and he logged an incompletion to Jarvis Landry on fourth-and-4 from the DEN 28 with 3:23 closing in the game. Landry and Odell Beckham mixed for 11 receptions for 138 yards and a TD (Landry) but it wasn’t nearly sufficient for an surroundings pleasant Browns offense, who had 30 more performs than Denver (43) in the loss.
3. Going by technique of Allen was as soon as alleged to consequence in a feast for the Browns defense but DC Steve Wilks’ workers didn’t make essentially the some of the chance. They introduced the unusual QB down thrice but couldn’t place collectively key stops when wanted. Down 5 and not using a longer up to 9:30 to head, Denver was as soon as going by technique of third-and-4 from its personal 31 when DT Sheldon Richardson was as soon as hit with a roughing the passer penalty and extended the Broncos pressure. It shaved more day without work the clock and, while the Browns had a g****e on their ensuing possession, Cleveland became the ball over on downs and place the pressure relieve on its defense. On 2nd-and-9 with 2:36 left, Lindsay took off for a 16-yard flee to ice the game. A close there could catch resulted in but any other Browns shot but it wasn’t supposed to be. Allen is now 1-0 in his NFL profession.
— Jelani Scott
Los Angeles Chargers 26, Inexperienced Bay Packers 11
1. Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram dominated a unprejudiced Packers offensive line, the Chargers’ flee D smothered ball-carriers, and the relieve quit blanketed Davante Adams and the Inexperienced Bay receiver corps. L.A. obtained at each stage, placing a pummeling on Aaron Rodgers and the Inexperienced Bay offense except rubbish time. The Chargers D held Inexperienced Bay to factual 60 yards by technique of three quarters, and the Pack didn’t unsuitable the 100-yard barrier except below the 10-minute designate of the fourth quarter. Bosa allege up store in the Inexperienced Bay backfield, always harassing Rodgers to the tune of 1.5 sacks, four QB hits and a bevy of alternative pressures. L.A. lining up Bosa and Ingram on the identical facet befuddled the Packers early and discombobulated the Inexperienced Bay offense. The Chargers held MVP candidate Rodgers to 161 yards and one ranking, great coming unhurried with L.A. taking half in off-coverage, and held Aaron Jones to factual 29 scrimmage yards. Gus Bradley’s squad held Inexperienced Bay to 2-of-10 on third down, a masterful job on a key down, and factual 184 full yards. The Chargers came in desperate for a protect shut, and their defense led the gain dismantling Rodgers’ offense.
2. Firing offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt perceived to catch up a drowsing Chargers offense. The play-calling wasn’t substantially varied than what we catch considered. What was as soon as varied was as soon as quarterback Philip Rivers taking half in possessed. The L.A. QB was as soon as locked in from the jump, throwing darts over the center and searching down the ball rapidly earlier than the Packers cross trudge could converge. Rivers and the Chargers offense moved the ball at will between the 20s against Inexperienced Bay. Splash performs to Mike Williams (3/111) had been accompanied by chain-challenging passes and smartly timed runs. The Chargers transformed 24 first downs in contrast to 13 for Inexperienced Bay. Melvin Gordon conducted his most consuming since ending his holdout, taking a glimpse great more decisive, compiling a season-excessive 80 yards rushing, and pounded in two touchdowns. The Chargers’ flee game, which had been stymied for weeks, churned out the clock unhurried, generated 160 trudge yards on the day, and saved Rodgers on the sideline, incomes a 35:51-24:09 time of possession advantage. The lean was as soon as even more lopsided than the scoreboard indicated. The Chargers settled for four self-discipline targets and went 2-for-5 in the red zone. The stalls didn’t matter this time as L.A. dominated all three phases Sunday.
3. As depressing because the loss was as soon as for Inexperienced Bay, the Packers (7-2) misplaced zero floor in their high-tail to the NFC North title. The remainder of their division competitors all misplaced, because the NFC North went 0-4 on the day, including 0-3 against the AFC West on the avenue. Bumps love Sunday come at some stage in an NFL season. Inexperienced Bay aloof controls the division. Bouncing relieve against Carolina next week will repeat what Matt LaFleur’s crew is constructed from in 2019. For L.A., the victory pushes them to 4-5, into the thick of the AFC playoff trudge. With two pivotal division games on faucet — at Raiders, vs. Chiefs — Anthony Lynn’s crew will must retain the depth with which it conducted Sunday.
— Kevin Patra
Kansas City Chiefs 26, Minnesota Vikings 23
1. A countdown and the consuming looking ahead to of Patrick Mahomes’ return to the self-discipline continues for the Chiefs. Nevertheless upon this Sunday, the Chiefs came across a gigantic victory to be had, person that demonstrated their intangibles as great because the leisure else. Kicker Harrison Butker booted the definition of a no-doubter when he kicked a 44-yard game-worthwhile self-discipline map to use the Chiefs past the Vikings at Arrowhead Stadium. For a 2nd straight commence, Moore, who amazingly didn’t even play in 2018, did barely sufficient, navigating game-tying and game-worthwhile drives in the fourth quarter. He clearly was as soon as upset in settling for a self-discipline map to tie it in the fourth, but a protect shut was as soon as had and that is the reason all that mattered on a day in which the Chiefs (6-3) fended off the Vikings (6-3) despite no longer having Mahomes, left tackle Eric Fisher and defensive ends Frank Clark and Alex Okafor. “Complete crew protect shut,” acknowledged Moore, who was as soon as 25-of-35 for 275 yards, a touchdown and a 103.9 ranking, following the game. “We desired to protect shut at dwelling and we came across a come to drag it out. Wonderful.” It was as soon as a crew protect shut. Tyreek Hill had six grabs for 140 yards, a ranking and made a minimal of two acrobatic catches. Damien Williams burst by technique of for a 91-yard ranking on a 125-yard day. The defense, for the entire knocks it gets, did its half as smartly, conserving the Vikings’ No. 3 total offense to 308 yards. Moore fumbled twice and was as soon as sacked 5 times, but he stood mammoth and the Chiefs stood up to the pain to come relieve away the victors. For the entire scurry and skills that the Chiefs catch, this present day was as soon as about digging deep and showing fortitude and that is the reason what obtained the day — from the backup QB to the struggling defense to the clutch kicker.
2. Gruesome but efficient. Or no longer it’s no longer a Hallmark card, but it was as soon as an true description of Kirk Cousins’ day in Arrowhead Stadium for the first three quarters. Nevertheless at the quit of the day, the Vikings misplaced and Cousins came up short all over again when he wanted to come relieve up clutch. If you happen to’re a Gargantuan Bowl contender, worthwhile on the avenue against an harm-depleted foe is what you kind. With 2:30 to head in the game and the ranking tied at 23, Cousins and the Vikings allege up at their 25-yard line, 75 yards from glory. Three performs and -7 yards later, they punted. Cousins had three touchdown passes, connected with eight receivers and had a 94.2 ranking. Stefon Diggs had one protect. Dalvin Cook dinner had most consuming 71 yards and 3.4 yards per raise. This loss would no longer fall squarely upon the shoulders of Cousins, but quite clearly, neither does a protect shut.
3. On a day in which mammoth names didn’t exactly come up clutch, Harrison Butker was as soon as an iceman when it came to pressure. He made unprejudiced on all six of his kicks, including four self-discipline targets. Gradual in the fourth quarter, he tied it with a 54-yard self-discipline that had no query from whence it left his boot. With the game tied, Matt Moore came across Tyreek Hill for a 13-yard produce to the Minnesota 39 and Butker was as soon as smartly internal differ all over again. Lined up with three seconds on the clock and a protect shut at his foot, Butker fully drilled a 44-yard game-winner. Handiest then did he repeat any trend of emotion, celebrating wildly at the conclusion of a triumph had upon the facility of his lengthy leg and steely demeanor.
— Grant Gordon
Pittsburgh Steelers 26, Indianapolis Colts 24
1. It wasn’t fine, but Mike Tomlin will take grasp of the present W. Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri missed a possible game-worthwhile self-discipline map in the closing minutes after holder Rigoberto Sanchez didn’t drag the laces out, and the Steelers held on for dear existence for a wanted dwelling protect shut. With the offense treading water in a 3-foot pool, Pittsburgh’s defense made several mammoth performs that modified the completion of the lean. Minkah Fitzpatrick all over again proved his worth with a 96-yard salvage-six unhurried in the first half because the Colts had been driving to delay their 10-3 lead. In six games with Pittsburgh, Fitzpatrick has been a mammoth dissimilarity-maker, compiling four interceptions, six passes defended, two forced fumbles and a fumble restoration. Pittsburgh’s defense moreover forced a Brian Hoyer fumble at midfield, and the special teams added a fumble restoration and a blocked additional point. T.J. Watt was as soon as a menace off the threshold, gobbling up 1.5 sacks and three QB hits and lived in the Colts backfield. In all, Pittsburgh’s D gave up yards Sunday but made sufficient mammoth performs to protect a limp offense.
2. Already taking half in without giant name receiver T.Y. Hilton, the Colts misplaced quarterback Jacoby Brissett early in the 2nd quarter to a knee harm. Backup Brian Hoyer entered and tossed a TD on his first throw of the season. The archaic got battered by the blitz-pleased Steelers, taking four sacks, but moved the ball smartly for stretches and threw three touchdowns. Zach Pascal (5/76/1) and rookie Parris Campbell (5/53; 27 trudge yards) filled in smartly for Hilton with each making some spectacular performs to give the Colts a shot to protect shut. Hoyer proved he is greater than succesful sufficient to pass Frank Reich’s offense if Brissett is out for a critical interval of time. Penalties, turnovers and missed kicks, nevertheless, will leave Indy with a bitter fashion in its mouth after factual lacking a g****e to salvage a avenue protect shut.
3. The Steelers offense regarded damaged with a jittery Mason Rudolph and no constant floor game to verbalize of sans James Conner. Rudolph dinked-and-dunked his come inefficiently all game, and his pocket presence was as soon as scared at most consuming. Even with the offense scuffling (273 full yards), Pittsburgh moved to .500 (4-4), conserving themselves alive in the AFC playoff trudge. They’ll need more out of the offense in the occasion that they’re going to beat teams that aren’t harm-riddled love the Colts had been Sunday. For Indy, the loss drops them to 5-3, in the relieve of the Texans in the AFC South. Or no longer it’s a long way a loss Reich’s squad could rue coughing up down the stretch of the season.
— Kevin Patra
Philadelphia Eagles 22, Chicago Bears 14
1. The closing time the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears squared off it was as soon as in the 2018 Wild Card Sport when the Bears’ Gargantuan Bowl hopes had been dashed by Cody Parkey’s double doink. Having a glimpse to exorcise their present demons on offense and defense, the Bears came into the lean hoping to flip round their 2019 campaign and salvage the comeback magic of the Washington Nationals. Nevertheless none of that came about, and the Bears (3-5) incurred their fourth straight loss on the year. The Bears’ offense got off to a horrendous commence. Chicago didn’t catch a critical down except unhurried into the 2nd quarter (with forty five seconds to play in the half); the Bears had been moreover 0-6 on third-down conversions in the first half. Signal-caller Mitchell Trubisky had but any other abysmal outing, finishing factual 10 passes for 125 yards. The additional film hit upon and Matt Nagy’s power point on the Nationals’ flee clearly didn’t benefit. Rookie running relieve David Montgomery is quiet the one real real incandescent allege on the Bears’ offense, scoring the crew’s two touchdowns in the game. Montgomery is tied with Raiders running relieve Josh Jacobs for most TDs amongst rookie backs. Nagy and Co. must close making excusing and make adjustments with upcoming tilts against the Lions and Rams.
2. Love the Bears’ offense, the defense continues to play sloppy and had but any other game fleshy of miscues and loads of alternative offsides penalties. By midway by technique of the 2nd quarter, the Bears’ D jumped offsides four times. The Eagles (5-4) capitalized off the Bears’ lack of self-discipline and took a 12-0 lead into the half. Carson Wentz, who love Trubisky was as soon as taking a glimpse for consistency himself, threw for 239 yards (26-for-39) and one touchdown. Wentz had DeSean Jackson relieve on the self-discipline Sunday after the receiver was as soon as out for several weeks due to an abdominal harm. Jackson’s day ended early, despite the indisputable truth that, after one protect. Clearly airing it out labored smartly against a struggling Bears secondary and avoiding Khalil Mack at all costs.
3. Two Eagles had a g****e to catch revenge on their frail squad. Eagles running relieve Jordan Howard, who was as soon as traded to Philly by Chicago this offseason, toted the ball 19 times for 82 yards and one touchdown. Receiver Alshon Jeffery’s day wasn’t so gigantic. Jeffery nearly payment the Eagles the game because the Bears tried a 2nd-half rally. The archaic wideout had three pressure-ending third-down drops. Jeffery has handled harm this season and hasn’t regarded love his venerable self. Alongside with his present struggles this could increasingly moreover be consuming how the Eagles exercise him going forward since he is been so inconsistent.
— Andie Hagemann
Houston Texans 26, Jacksonville Jaguars 3
1. Deshaun Watson’s MVP campaign went world on Sunday. Even when the NFL’s closing London game this season wasn’t exactly riveting, Watson’s versatile and outstanding ability allege was as soon as showcased in all aspects because the Texans obtained a key AFC South game. Despite lacking standout left tackle Laremy Tunsil, the Texans offensive line had a stable day, allowing factual one sack, but great of that was as soon as Watson, who wiggled and slipped by technique of possible sacks and improvised success. In all likelihood never earlier than has watching a quarterback quit alive from would-be sackers been this type of spotlight because it’s a long way with Watson. The label-caller’s snappily toes added 37 yards on the ground because the Texans became in a gigantic day on the ground with 216 yards rushing, keyed by Carlos Hyde’s 160 yards in 19 carries. Watson (22-of-28 for 201 yards, two touchdowns) was as soon as moreover excellently surroundings pleasant with his arm, because the Texans (6-3) downed the Jaguars (4-5) for the fourth straight time and Watson improved to 4-0 against Duval. Watson could smartly be the NFL’s most consuming this season and now he could make that state on two continents.
2. Nearly 60 years prior, a quartet of moptops out of England resulted in a world hump called Beatlemania. On Sunday, a mustache, a headband and but any other trend of mania touched down in England, but Minshew Mania had its worst performance but. Three turnovers (two interceptions, one fumble misplaced) in the fourth quarter could be the lasting influence from London, but, in point of truth, Minshew (27-of-47 for 309 yards, 59.6 passer ranking) struggled correct along with the remaining of the crew. Chris Conley had a horrendous day shedding the ball, D.J. Chark (four catches for 32 yards on nine targets), in the center of a stellar season, was as soon as bottled up and Leonard Fournette (11 carries for season-low 40 yards), moreover chugging along with a good campaign, came across the identical fate. Nevertheless because the Nick Foles-or-Minshew debate gets going, Sunday is a stain on the rookie’s transient resume that could be troublesome to scrub away.
3. In its first outing sans J.J. Watt in 2019, the Texans’ defense answered with its most consuming defensive performance of the year, allowing a season-low three aspects, forcing four turnovers and keying a wanted division protect shut. Houston’s defense was as soon as dominant in all aspects, notching four sacks and conserving the Leonard Fournette-led running game to 74 yards. It could possibly possibly be silly to predict Watt’s absence could no longer catch a negative enact sooner or later, but on this Sunday, Gareon Conley (eight tackles, two passes defended), Zach Cunningham (eight tackles, fumble restoration), Brennan Scarlett (two sacks) and a mammoth crew effort had been dominant without their most dominant participant.
— Grant Gordon
Buffalo Bills 24, Washington Redskins 9
1. If the Redskins weren’t, smartly, the Redskins, the Bills could’ve misplaced this game. Nevertheless as a replace they obtained 24-9. The Bills (6-2) are the bottom scoring crew with a worthwhile story, but they didn’t glimpse like it this present day. Buffalo came out of the gate running the ball against a defective flee defense. The offensive line was as soon as blocking off gigantic for rookie running relieve Devin Singletary, who had seventy nine scrimmage yards on six touches in the first quarter. He achieved the game with 140 scrimmage yards and a touchdown. Josh Allen now has seven games with both a passing and rushing touchdown, which is the fourth-most ever by a QB in his first two seasons, per the Bills.
2. In his first NFL commence at quarterback, Dwayne Haskins wasn’t gigantic, but he wasn’t defective. He achieved 15 of 22 makes an are trying for 144 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions but took four sacks. He made about a gigantic throws but factual couldn’t convert on third downs. For a little bit of the game, Washington (1-8) had more yards than Buffalo, but mistakes and missed alternatives had them settling for self-discipline targets. After the game, interval in-between coach Bill Callahan acknowledged he would no longer know but if Haskins will commence at QB after the bye week. That is the first time in franchise history that the Redskins catch long gone three consecutive weeks without a touchdown.
3. Adrian Peterson was as soon as the one sure thing for the Redskins offense. The 34-year-venerable was as soon as running folk over this present day. He had 121 full yards at the half. The Bills defense factual couldn’t close him, and he factual refused to be tackled. Peterson achieved with 130 scrimmage yards.
— Lakisha Wesseling
Carolina Panthers 30, Tennessee Titans 20
1. The Panthers loved a great catch-correct day on offense seven days after getting shellacked by the 49ers. The Titans entered the day with the league’s No. 4 scoring defense, but after a unhurried commence Kyle Allen started getting the ball in the palms of his playmakers (particularly Christian McCaffrey) and Carolina’s ability avid gamers shined. McCaffrey persisted his magnificent first half with three more touchdowns (one receiving, two on the ground) and 166 yards from scrimmage — a performance punctuated by a 58-yard ranking where he exploded by technique of a crease at the line of scrimmage and outran the defense for six.
Receivers D.J. Moore (seven catches, 101 yards) and Curtis Samuel (3/64/1) both made performs to remind you why Carolina (5-3) is excessive on its younger wideout duo. And Allen did a unprejudiced job of searching down the mistakes that plagued him against S.F. Performances love Sunday’s remind you why Carolina stays a playoff shadowy horse in the NFC.
2. The Titans (4-5) will bemoan their unhurried commence as a key motive in the relieve of this loss. Tennessee was as soon as shut out in the first half, undone by lackluster offense and self-inflicted wounds. The Titans entered halftime with 114 full yards, 5 first downs, two turnovers, two missed kicks and six penalties for 58 yards. Operating relieve Derrick Henry moreover was as soon as a non-divulge early with factual two carries in the first two quarters. By the point the Titans woke from their slumber they trailed by 17. They tried to make a game of it as Henry re-emerged with two touchdowns in the 2nd half, but never had been ready to gash the Panthers’ consequence in single digits.
3. Ron Rivera lived up to his Riverboat Ron moniker Sunday with two gutsy decisions on fourth down that led on to 14 aspects. Going by technique of fourth-and-2 in the 2nd quarter from the Titans’ 7, Rivera opted against a self-discipline map and saved his offense of the self-discipline. The resolution was as soon as fundamental pondering up to that time his offense had struggled to discover its footing against a mammoth Titans defense. Nevertheless Norv Turner drew up a great thing about a play-call that resulted in Allen finding a big originate McCaffrey for a really easy TD and a 10-0 lead. Then in the 2nd half after the Titans scored their first TD of the game, Rivera caught Tennessee without warning with a pretend punt from his personal 36 that special teamer Colin Jones transformed for a critical down. That pressure ended in but any other TD for Carolina as Rivera’s gambles paid off doubly en route to victory.
— David Ely
Miami Dolphins 26, Novel York Jets 18
1. In a game that seemingly would’ve left followers of both teams unbothered no matter the quit consequence, the pendulum finally swung in prefer of the winless Dolphins (1-7). It was as soon as by no come a classic — first game since Week 14, 1994 both teams recorded a security, per NFL Study — but Miami conjured up a 26-18 victory, due to an on-label performance from the equally woeful Jets (1-7) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (24-of-36, 288 yards, 3 TDs, 0 int.) dialing up the staunch dose of ‘FitzMagic’. Miami jumped out to an early 21-12 halftime lead — essentially the most aspects they’ve scored in a half in 2019 — courtesy of Fitzpatrick doing his most consuming Dan Marino influence and turning into the first Fins QB to throw three or more TDs in the first half against the Jets since Marino did so in Week 3, 1986, per NFL Study. Wideout Devante Parker (4/57/1) punched in a trend of ratings on a difficult, one-hand 17-yard take grasp of while the other two went to WR Preston Williams (5/57/2). Tight quit Mike Gesicki moreover managed to always reduce the Jets’ D en route to a profession-most consuming six-protect, 95-yard day. The offense cooled off critically in the 2nd half but, with things coming up all Miami on this one, the crew aloof pulled off but any other first, ending their season-lengthy third-quarter scoring drought (57-0) after a 26-yard Jason Sanders self-discipline map. What a trudge.
2. Sam Darnold (27-of-39, 260 yards, TD, INT) and the Jets place the OFF in offense against Miami, and it was as soon as, now and then, laborious to peep. After a pointy 11-play, 75-yard sequence to give the Jets their 2nd opening pressure ranking of the year, things went rapidly downhill from there. Jamison Crowder (8/83/1) was as soon as the beneficiary of the lone touchdown and corralled some of Darnold’s most consuming throws but there was as soon as minute to verbalize of outside of that. Le’Veon Bell had but any other tough day on the ground with 17 carries for 66 yards, WR Robbie Anderson went 2-of-4 for 33 yards and the closing 13 Jets aspects would come from kicker Sam Ficken (3-of-4) and a botched Miami QB sneak from their personal 1-yard line. The outcomes of the game can also had been varied had Ryan Griffin’s toe-dragging TD protect to gash the consequence in seven no longer been reversed unhurried in the 2nd but who if truth be told is conscious of; Darnold would throw a sloppy salvage on the very next play. Overall, the Jets achieved 5-of-14 on third down and 1-of-3 in the redzone.
3. When Darnold returned to lead the Jets past the Cowboys in Week 6, there was as soon as a buzz surrounding the crew. They’ve dropped three straight in the weeks since and, while that could happen to any crew, defeats love the one they took this present day glimpse worse when a replacement of expensive errors are involved. Coming into Week 9 because the NFL’s ninth-most penalized crew, the Jets had been hit with 10 full penalties for a dissimilarity of 105 yards; the aforementioned map-line salvage and a fumble-became-security from the Novel York 7 after an sick-timed snap from backup heart Jonotthan Harrison moreover left a stain on the sector ranking. In all, Novel York’s offense has coughed up 10 turnovers and the crew has been outscored 88-33 for the reason that Dallas game. Darnold has moreover taken 12 sacks in that span. Ouch.
— Jelani Scott