Week 2 of the 2019 preseason got underway on Thursday evening with standout evenings from Sam Darnold, Ryan Finley and Mike Glennon and a serious setback for Kyler Murray. Right here’s what we learned from Thursday evening’s quintet of contests:
Philadelphia Eagles 24, Jacksonville Jaguars 10
1. With Prick Foles looking out at on the opposite sideline, Philadelphia’s QB depth took but one other hit on Thursday evening — a blindside hit, to be particular. Cody Kessler started for the Eagles with Carson Wentz suited up however sidelined and Nate Sudfeld nursing a broken wrist. Nonetheless Kessler exited on Philly’s first force with a concussion — the consequence of a blitzing Datone Jones running untouched previous rookie left cope with Andre Dillard and into Kessler’s spleen — forcing fourth-string rookie Clayton Thorson into the thick for the game’s duration. Given Wentz’s ruin ancient previous, the Eagles arguably did no longer attain enough this offseason to bolster the backup QB location. The events of the closing two weeks enjoy bolstered that argument.
2. For the 2d straight week, Doug Marrone opted to sit any Jaguars participant of substance in want of Keelan Cole and rookie edge rusher Josh Allen. What to procure? Gardner Minshew looked more happy in his 2d originate up for Foles, main a nice two-minute drill on the tip of the principle half of with passes to roster bubble boys C.J. Board, Thomas Rawls and Michael Walker to home up Jacksonville’s first three facets of the preseason. Two weeks in and we haven’t any clue what the 2019 Jaguars will stare like, appropriate how team czar Tom Coughlin doubtless prefers it.
— Jeremy Bergman
Unique York Jets 22, Atlanta Falcons 10
3. Atlanta invested within the offensive line this offseason however the offensive dwell turned into no longer invested in preserving Matt Ryan on Thursday evening. Ryan played four drives with the principle-ish-team line and, while he turned into atmosphere pleasant in finishing 10 of 14 passes, the Falcons starting quarterback additionally took three sacks and eight QB hits. Ty Sambrailo, the starting appropriate cope with with Kaleb McGary out, turned into oft victimized. When he wasn’t getting smacked around deep into the 2d quarter, Ryan turned into seeing his 2d-string circulation-catchers (Brian Hill, Justin Hardy) drop easy TD passes within the tip zone.
4. One other solid evening for Sam Darnold. Even with out Le’Veon Bell and most of his offensive line within the starting lineup, Darnold (5/7, 46 yards) looked ready for Week 1 in Adam Gase’s plot. More relating than the quarterback location is the cornerback location, the assign Arthur Maulet, Darryl Roberts and Parry Nickerson struggled in opposition to Atlanta’s receivers in condominium. Even sooner than injuries to Trumaine Johnson and Kyron Brown, cornerback turned into a location of want for Unique York. That is rather more the case after the relaxation played poorly on Thursday evening.
— Jeremy Bergman
Baltimore Ravens 26, Green Bay Packers 13
5. Ravens running abet Tag Ingram, who signed with the membership in March, made his Baltimore debut Thursday evening in opposition to the Packers. Ingram toted the ball four times for 18 yards early within the principle quarter. The Ravens’ other huge offseason acquisition, safety Earl Thomas, additionally made his first appearance, giving followers a stare on the Thomas-Tony Jefferson pairing that’s definite to excite this season. Speaking of curious, fullback Patrick Ricard recovered a Tim Boyle fumble while logging time as a defensive lineman within the third quarter.
6. Aaron Rodgers turned into slated to heed his preseason debut in opposition to the Ravens, however the signal-caller sat out due to abet tightness. So we are able to wait one other week to stare Rodgers accumulate some preseason action. The Packers’ offense failed to accumulate off the floor with DeShone Kizer, who went 5 of 10 for 70 yards. The Packers’ defense turned into equally as unimpressive and failed to possess the potent combination of Lamar Jackson and Co. early within the competition.
— Andie Hagemann
Cincinnati Bengals 23, Washington Redskins 13
7. Redskins coach Jay Gruden lost his first distress name of the preseason. Case Keenum associated with wide receiver Steve Sims Jr. on a deep circulation down the left aspect. Sims turned into pushed out of bounds on the 1-yard line and the referees called offensive circulation interference. The name turned into within the slay upheld.
Dwayne Haskins entered the game midway by the 2d quarter, and logged his first landing of preseason play with a 55-yard circulation below rigidity to wide receiver Robert Davis. Haskins’ outing turned into spectacular however no longer error free, as he fumbled the ball once.
8. Bengals quarterback Ryan Finley had a great evening in opposition to the Redskins, throwing for 150 yards and two touchdowns and finishing 20 of 26 passes. Finley’s play helped ignite the Bengals’ offense after the team stalled for the duration of its first few sequence within the principle quarter. After Joe Mixon’s evening turned into over (one elevate), running abet Jordan Ellis took over the workload, toting the ball 15 times for 52 yards. Quinton Plants, Trayveon Williams and Giovani Bernard additionally logged carries. Receiver Alex Erickson returned a 75-yard punt within the fourth placing the capper on the competition.
— Andie Hagemann
Oakland Raiders 33, Arizona Cardinals 26
9. Growing trouble in paradise. Kyler Murray’s 2d preseason game turned into no longer virtually as atmosphere pleasant as his first. In four drives, Murray’s Cardinals received appropriate 12 yards, failed to capture up a major down with out relief from penalties and punted thrice. Murray confirmed his inexperience by taking a sack (one in all two) deep in Arizona’s territory for a safety on his closing sequence. Making matters worse, Arizona turned into flag-happy, committing six offensive penalties on Murray’s drives, three of them pre-snap.
“Clearly, from the exterior taking a look for in, it seems a dinky bit disappointing, Murray suggested ESPN’s Lisa Salters for the duration of the game. “On the an identical time, we all know what’s crucial and that thsi is handiest preseason. Indubitably vanilla appropriate now. We’re no longer doing all the pieces. Yeah, it is some distance what it is some distance.”
Murray turned into flying high after one flawless preseason force closing week, however the No. 1 general capture came abet to the desolate tract earth in his first extended authentic appearance.
10. Spin, wonder on the majesty of the Mike Glennon revenge game. Oakland’s most spectacular force turned into its first of the evening, the Raiders’ first of the preseason with Derek Carr on the helm and with new weapons at his disposal. Oakland’s QB1 associated with Tyrell Williams on a beautiful 27-yard circulation down the sideline and with Ryan Grant on a 13-yard TD toss. Rookie abet Josh Jacobs broke off four salvage runs for 21 yards. It took appropriate over three minutes Thursday evening for Oakland to laborious-knock off the depraved vibes from closing weekend’s Antonio Brown drama.
— Jeremy Bergman