Norway reached the final 16 of the Ladies folks’s World Cup and eliminated South Korea after scoring a penalty in every half in Reims.
The tip result also clinched second set in Neighborhood A for the Norwegians within the support of France, who at final beat Nigeria, while South Korea mosey house with out a level.
Caroline Graham Hansen chanced on the bottom nook from the penalty set early on, after West Ham’s Cho So-Hyun had tangled with Chelsea’s Maria Thorisdottir within the sphere at a nook.
New Barcelona signing Graham Hansen used to be later caught within the spot and this time Isabell Herlovsen struck house from the set, forward of Yeo Min-ji grew to become in a gradual comfort from shut vary.
South Korea, who needed to retract on Monday to dangle any chance of progressing, dangle endured three losses out of three for the second time of their three World Cup finals appearances, but Yeo’s purpose gave their fans one thing to dangle time after nearly 260 minutes with out a purpose.
- Relive the motion from Reims
- Final community video games diversifications
- Fixtures, groups and BBC protection
The foremost downside to Norway’s slightly stable evening used to be that Graham Hansen needed to be withdrawn, damage after the low led to their second purpose, and they also’re going to hope she is slot in time to face the runners-up in Neighborhood C in Good on Saturday.
The 1995 champions, who dangle featured in all eight editions of this event, are through to the knockout stages for a seventh time and gaze to be among the higher-organised sides at the support.
|Groups within the final 16 of the Ladies folks’s World Cup|
Ranked 12th within the enviornment and two locations above South Korea, Martin Sjogren’s aspect had been led by Chelsea’s defensive duo Maren Mjelde and Thorisdottir.
They did properly to face up to a range of stress from South Korea – for whom Chelsea’s Jo So-Yun in midfield used to be key – forward of Lee Geum-min’s artful flick chanced on Yeo within the spot to flip in for 2-1.
Lee then nearly curled in an equaliser, but her effort from a tight angle used to be properly saved by Ingrid Hjelmseth – who also held Ji’s first-half shot from lengthy-vary – forward of Cho headed agonisingly wide in stoppage time.
‘We had a execrable day as we direct time’
On the knock sustained by Barcelona’s Caroline Graham Hansen, Norway head coach Martin Sjogren told BBC Sport:“We deserve to dangle her support. We’ll gaze how the wretchedness is day after lately to come.
“It be extraordinarily essential to salvage her support but she’s a tricky girl and our medical group are also correct folk.
“But I factor in she’s going to most definitely be support. She’s a tricky participant.”
Graham Hansen said:“I could now not proceed but the doctors are definite that this will most definitely be OK.
“The Koreans played a in point of fact correct match. They had been loads higher than we expected.
“We had a execrable day. Now we dangle got to enact higher, but I’m so proud we’ll the [next round] now.”
South Korea coach Yoon Dukyeo:“As head coach I’d exhaust to apologise for now not getting the cease result we expected.
“Now we dangle had three suits and now we dangle seen how the European gamers dangle progressed in such a quick manner.
“I hoped that our gamers might perchance perchance presumably quick manufacture and produce development.
“In account for for that to happen we deserve to produce more effort.”
100-up for Minde – stats
- South Korea dangle misplaced eight of their 10 Ladies folks’s World Cup suits (W1 D1 L8)
- Norway dangle received their final community stage match in seven of their outdated eight Ladies folks’s World Cup tournaments (W7 D0 L1), with three of these wins coming in opposition to Asian worldwide locations – 4-0 v Japan in 1999, 7-1 v South Korea in 2003 and a few-1 v South Korea in 2019.
- Graham Hansen’s opening purpose for Norway used to be the quickest purpose scored at this World Cup.
- Norway scored two penalty kicks, most efficient the sixth time a crew has netted two-plus set-kicks in a Ladies folks’s World Cup recreation, but the second at the 2019 version of the event (also Spain v South Africa).
- Kristine Minde made her a centesimal look for Norway, the fifth participant within the sizzling squad to hit that milestone.